Vbox crashing with USB external drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
vboxpac

Re: Vbox crashing with USB external drive

Post by vboxpac »

fth0 wrote:This issue should be fixed in builds 6.1.39r153816 and newer.
We have tried the latest test build and the usb issue is fixed, but full screen mode does not work correctly (it takes a while to get into full screen mode).

Do you know when there will be an official release with these fixes in?

You said this was fixed in revision 153816. I have checked out the svn sources and the last revision is 96616. Trying to see if this is a simple fix that could be back ported into a stable release.

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

vboxpac wrote:Do you know when there will be an official release with these fixes in?
These are user discussion (self help) forums. We have no idea when the devs will do anything. New releases are typically every one or two months.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

vboxpac wrote:Do you know when there will be an official release with these fixes in?
I'd expect a VirtualBox 6.1 release update around 2022-10-18 and it will most probably contain these fixes.
vboxpac wrote:You said this was fixed in revision 153816. I have checked out the svn sources and the last revision is 96616.
Those revision numbers are not directly related to each other, and there is no formula to calculate one from the other. You can only compare the calendar dates.
vboxpac

Post by vboxpac »

fth0 wrote:
I'd expect a VirtualBox 6.1 release update around 2022-10-18 and it will most probably contain these fixes.
Is that just a guess or do you have contact with the developers?
fth0 wrote:
vboxpac wrote:You said this was fixed in revision 153816. I have checked out the svn sources and the last revision is 96616.
Those revision numbers are not directly related to each other, and there is no formula to calculate one from the other. You can only compare the calendar dates.
There have been no check-ins to trunk since 6th September, so I assume the development work for a new release is done in a branch which we don't have access to?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

vboxpac wrote:
fth0 wrote: I'd expect a VirtualBox 6.1 release update around 2022-10-18 and it will most probably contain these fixes.
Is that just a guess or do you have contact with the developers?
It's an educated guess: Oracle provides Critical Patch Updates 4 times per year on pre-announced dates for most of their software products, and you don't need many fingers to count the dates when VirtualBox wasn't included. ;) To be fair, VirtualBox also used this schedule when no security bugfix was contained.
vboxpac wrote:There have been no check-ins to trunk since 6th September, so I assume the development work for a new release is done in a branch which we don't have access to?
Correct. The public SVN repository is only updated occasionally and therefore it's not suitable to follow the development closely.
nixuser

Post by nixuser »

For me on a Fedora 37 host (running the Fedora 36 rpm VirtualBox-7.0-7.0.0_153978_fedora36-1.x86_64.rpm) this problem is totally fixed with the release version of 7.