Windows 10 crash in virtualBox Debian version

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Benjam
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Windows XP, Windows 10

Windows 10 crash in virtualBox Debian version

Post by Benjam »

Hi,

Sorry to post if the problem has already been answered on the forum.
I have already searched on the frum but I did not find an answer because I do not know what type of search to do

I'm using Debian 11 Bullseye as a host with a Windows 10 virtual machine on it which works perfectly.
And I want to migrate from VirtualBox installed from the Oracle sources.list to the VirtualBox included in the Debian sources.list sources.list, but I have a problem with the Windows 10 VM:

VirtualBox versions are:
Oracle sources.list: virtualbox-6.1/unknown,now 6.1.36-152435~Debian~bullseye amd64
Debian sources.list: virtualbox/unstable 6.1.36-dfsg-1 amd64

Windows 10 crashes every time when used with the VirtualBox integrated in the Debian sources.
Windows crashes with either a BSOD or an error such as "Windows must restart due to an unknown error" or "Windows has encountered a kernel error and must restart". And the VM restarts again and again in a loop after a few seconds or minutes after booting.
And it's the same even if I uninstall the guest add-on from the VM before changing the version of VirtualBox.

If I reinstall virtualbox again from sources.list oracle and guest addons, Windows 10 is functional again.
It is therefore not the Windows itself but there is a link with the version of virtualbox, or the guest addition or the extpack

If anyone knows the process to migrate from one version to another, it would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Bests regards,
Benjamin
Last edited by scottgus1 on 22. Jul 2022, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed coloring
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Windows 10 crash in virtualBox Debian version

Post by fth0 »

Benjam wrote:If anyone knows the process to migrate from one version to another
One possible method is to uninstall all VirtualBox packages from all sources, reboot the host, then install only VirtualBox packages from one of the sources. During a normal uninstallation (e.g sudo apt remove, not sudo apt purge), the VMs and the configuration will normally be kept.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

A general procedure for removing the official release is provided in the User Guide (Version 6.1.36 Section 2.3.3.4), but there are a couple of additional actions you probably need to consider:

a. If used, uninstall Guest Additions from each VM before uninstalling VirtualBox, as direct distributions from the Linux distro's own repositories may have differences.
b. If you have registered the Oracle VirtualBox repository to receive automatic updates, you should edit the repositories file to remove the relevant entry. See your Distro's instructions on how to do this if you don't know how.

Please also remember that this forum is only provided as a source of user-to-user support for the 'official' release of VirtualBox. Support assistance for 'forked' versions of VirtualBox should be sought via the each distro's own help forums.
Benjam
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Windows XP, Windows 10

Post by Benjam »

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
I ever try this but it's ok i've found the solution.

It's simply because the guest iso was to other version than the virtualbox.
When force the install of the correct version (apt pinning), it's ok.

Thanks for your help :)