Unable to locate imported symbol 'SUPR0FpuBegin' VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Leo.Aslan

Re: Unable to locate imported symbol 'SUPR0FpuBegin' VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND

Post by Leo.Aslan »

PatLher wrote:Hello all
Just hit same problem and was able to at least correct it without any reboot and wanted to share in case it might be useful (and keeping a trace for me too).

It helped and fixed my issue.
Thank you
Last edited by mpack on 19. Aug 2022, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim verbatim quote.
Alfa_Sky

Post by Alfa_Sky »

Please have mercy on average users on Linux (in my case Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release).

How you technically describe what to do to solve this issue is not very user friendly and walk-through method.

I get stuck to all the steps you describe. Usually on forums on Linux's issues I get through, but this time is really unreadable...

I need urgently to run my VM to work and I'm in deep trouble: if I cannot run it, I cannot get paid for my job. VirtualBox is ran worldwide and this help should be improved.

Please help describing step by step all the phases, for users like me, a bit less "technical"...

I appreciate your support and remember that one day you could feel old too!

Ah ah...

:-)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Alfa_Sky wrote:Please have mercy on average users on Linux
Frankly, Linux itself is not new-user-friendly to me, as I have seen in my experience with it as a newer user. Way too much command line, ultimately ending in "throw the following series of seemingly random characters at the terminal etc..." :lol: Explaining how to use Virtualbox on Linux can therefore be rather rough.

However, in order for us to be able to help you, Alfa_Sky, we need more information. Minimum Info Needed for Assistance
zprytka

Post by zprytka »

shukebeta wrote:after did

Code: Select all

sudo rm the_bad_vbox_drv_file
You can reboot or shutdown your system, this problem will no longer happen again.
Wtfisoracle wrote:
PatLher wrote:Hello all
Just hit same problem and was able to at least correct it without any reboot and wanted to share in case it might be useful (and keeping a trace for me too).
Hey, I did this method and it works fine but the problem is that everytime I shutdown or restart my pc I have to do the process again
Thank you all, this one work like a charm, but after restart the problem persist and i need to do all over again. Could some one indicate which is "the_bad_vbox_drv_file" we need to remove after finish all the steps?
CarbonBlob7G

Post by CarbonBlob7G »

In case anyone finds this easier - I also ran into this issue with Ubuntu 22.04 after attempting to remove 6.1.34 and install 6.1.38 using dpkg. In my case, I just manually uninstalled virtualbox-dkms (the 6.1.34 version):

sudo apt remove virtualbox-dkms
sudo apt purge virtualbox-dkms*
I then reinstalled the deb package over itself:
(run the following from inside the folder containing the downloaded virtualbox installer deb file - I renamed to vbox.deb for this example):

sudo dpkg -i vbox.deb
Afterwards, my guests started up again and (so far) haven't crashed.
hilde

Post by hilde »

I had the same problem in Ubuntu. After reading this topic I just tried

sudo apt remove virtualbox-dkms
sudo apt install virtualbox-dkms
and Virtualbox was functioning again.
jiggersplat
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10

Post by jiggersplat »

sudo apt install virtualbox-dkms
and then rmmod and insmod all three modules worked for me.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

jiggersplat wrote:sudo apt install virtualbox-dkms
hilde wrote:sudo apt install virtualbox-dkms
Just reminding everyone that official Virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org does not use dkms. Anyone whose Virtualbox needs to install dkms is using a fork of Virtualbox provided by and supported by the Linux distro.
FredBoudreau

Post by FredBoudreau »

Alfa_Sky wrote:Please have mercy on average users on Linux (in my case Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release).
A simple solution for Ubuntu users that doesn't require much coding is to reboot your host machine, remove all VirtualBox packages (using the code bellow in Terminal), and finally reinstall VirtualBox using Ubuntu's Software Center.

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-\*
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@FredBoudreau. See the post immediately above yours: if you want to use third party builds that is fine, but please don't discuss them here. And I would note that third party builds do not come with the PUEL licensed extension pack mentioned above, and using a third party build with the official extension pack is probably what causes this mismatch problem in the first place.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:And I would note that third party builds do not come with the PUEL licensed extension pack mentioned above, and using a third party build with the official extension pack is probably what causes this mismatch problem in the first place.
FWIW, Ubuntu provides VirtualBox in several distinct packages. One of them is named virtualbox and contains the main binaries. Another one of them is named virtualbox-ext-pack and this one downloads the one-and-only VirtualBox Extension Pack from the Oracle download site during its installation and/or update. If you keep both packages at the same version, you won't run into mismatch issues regarding the VirtualBox Extension Pack.

Note that this is not the issue of this topic: The SUPR0FpuBegin VERR_SYMBOL_NOT_FOUND means that the VirtualBox binaries and the VirtualBox kernel driver (e.g. vboxdrv, vboxsup) have different versions, and the source code of the latter are provided by different packages (e.g. virtualbox-dkms, virtualbox-source). It get's a bit more complicated when talking about them ...