Tor browser and firefox now highly unstable in Virtualbox VMs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Nicknack22

Tor browser and firefox now highly unstable in Virtualbox VMs

Post by Nicknack22 »

Hi everyone,

My host is a fully updated Manjaro Linux (64 bit) running on a fast Dell laptop. It is fully updated.

I have been using virtualbox without incident for over two years. Recently when I run Tor browser or Firefox in a long-established Windows VM, they crash within minutes.

Often now I get "Gah, your tab has crashed" type messages.

Today I reinstalled Virtualbox and the additions pack and also installed a Manjaro Linux VM. In there is Tor browser. More often than receiving the 'tab crshed' error, the whole Tor (or firefox) browser simply disappears just a coule of minutes after being launched. It seems to be a problem irrespective of which VM I am using...

I relaunch it and carry on for couple of minutes, then it happens again.

The fact that this started to happen with a VDI file that I configured a couple of years ago (Windows 7), I am thinking that maybe some recent updte to Virtualbox has introduced an instability of incompatibility.

I have spent several hours searching forums etc. I can;t even find any error logs inside the VM or in the Host for Virtualbox itself.

Does anyone have any pointers what I can do now?

It is sooo frustrating becase Virtualbox has been so reliable...

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Tor browser and firefox now highly unstable in Virtualbox VMs

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, if you can revert Virtualbox to an earlier version where the same VM's Tor doesn't crash anymore, and produce logs for that working setup, that will help, too.
Nicknack22

Post by Nicknack22 »

scottgus1 wrote:Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Thank you so much for taking the time to engage with this problem.
I have done as you requested - log attached.

Please note:
Youtube was fully loaded and ready to browse by 02:02 into the VM's life
The Tor crash happened at 04:15
I used the host OS to issue a Shutdown' command at 04:30
It seems to me that there is nothing in these logs between the system being fully loaded (~ 17 seconds in) and me issuing the shutdown command (04:30)
scottgus1 wrote:Also, if you can revert Virtualbox to an earlier version where the same VM's Tor doesn't crash anymore, and produce logs for that working setup, that will help, too.
This is more problematic as my host OS (Manjaro) seems not to offer the option.

Also note In the log file, potentially identifying information has been redacted - clearly indicated in log file.

Thanks again!
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(30.29 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VirtualBox 6.1.34 and 6.1.97r150532 do not support Linux kernel 5.10.124 on the host and will produce random crashes in the guest (pun intended ;)). See 20914 and Windows 10 Guest on Linux host dies seconds after boot for details.

The VirtualBox test builds 6.1.35r151864 (and newer) are supposed to support Linux kernels 5.18, 5.17.12+, 5.15.44+, 5.10.119+ and more on the host and in the guest.
Nicknack22

Post by Nicknack22 »

For anyone else who has been having issues with Virtualbox on the current release of Manjaro:

Last night a bunch of updates were applied to my system. I noticed that several were related to Virtualbox.

Lo and behold the VM now performs perfectly. Tor browser is stable and with good speed...

Phew!

Thanks everyone for suggestions..