VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RobinK

VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Post by RobinK »

Host is openSUSE Leap 15.4. Guests are a legacy os/2 installation (actually eCS) and Windows 10.

The machine is multi-boot, now carrying Leap 15.3, Leap 15.4 and Tumbleweed, each installed afresh, not upgrades.

Leap 15.4 is new, and is now the default. I installed VirtualBox, and pointed it to the two existing VMs which had been running successfully under Leap 15.3 and its predecessors. I’ve done this transfer successfully many times before, but on this occasion the Win 10 VM works but the os/2 VM doesn’t start. I get the error message:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine eCS.

Could not open the medium '/vms/VirtualBox VMs/eCS.vdi'.

VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file '/vms/VirtualBox VMs/eCS.vdi' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1} The odd thng is that when booted to Leap 15.3, the os/2 VM still works, but under Leap 15.4 it doesn’t, whereas the Win 10 VM does work under both, which suggests it’s a setup problem in Leap 15.4, not a corrupted VM.

I’ve combed the Internet for inspiration, but have failed to find inspiration. Any clues?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Post by scottgus1 »

The error is pretty simple: Virtualbox cannot find the file:

'/vms/VirtualBox VMs/eCS.vdi'

Are you sure that the location referred to as '/vms' is properly mounted in Leap 15.4, same as in the other host OS's? Can you use the 15.4 file browser to browse through '/vms/VirtualBox VMs/' and see the file 'eCS.vdi'?
RobinK

Post by RobinK »

Thanks.

Ha! I see on closer inspection that the folder "VMS" is capitalised in Leap 15.4 but lower case in the VBox Virtual Media Manager. The Win 10 VM uses the capitalised version. But an attempt to change it for eCS in the Virtual Media "anager is declined because the file already exists.

Is there another way of affecting the change?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

RobinK wrote: Is there another way of affecting the change?
Remove the media and then add it back (with corrected case) in VirtualBox. PROVIDED there are no snapshots or linked clones to mess up the scenario.
RobinK

Post by RobinK »

I've tried removing the VM and adding it back several times, but to no avail, not least that there doesn't seem to be opportunity to specify the case of a VM file location. But I see that the config xml file in Leap 15.4 at ~/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml has references to the critical file location in upper case already - while the same file in the Leap 15.3 installation (in which the eCS VM works OK) has the same references in lower case. That seems to mean that upper or lower case might not matter.

So things are far from consistent. In both Leap 15.3 and 15.4 using the exact same VirtualBox setup, the Windows 10 VM works fine. But the eCS VM works in 15.3 but not in 15.4; and, where a part of the VM file description is in upper case as far as each host is concerned, in a VBox user config file in 15.3 those references are given in lower case yet the VM still works, whereas in 15.4 the same config file uses upper case for the same references and the VM should work but doesn't.

So I'm out of ideas .....
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

RobinK wrote:That seems to mean that upper or lower case might not matter.
The opposite is true. On Linux systems, "/vms" and "/VMS" are two different folders and both can even exist at the same time. So you should clean up the mess you've created. Start by giving the mount point the same name in Leap 15.3 and 15.4.
RobinK

Post by RobinK »

Yes; you're right, and I deserve your rebuke. I'd over-complicated a simple problem in that I'd named the directory's mount point in 15.3 as /vms and, carelessly, in 15.4 as /VMS.

Stupid; especially since I first learned of case-sensitivity in Linux more than 25 years ago. Pilot error. Sorry for wasting folks' time.

PS: And, if anyone wants to know, /VMS is now /vms and the problem has gone away .....
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running! And, no, you didn't waste our time! This question and answer reminds me of Linux's case-sensitive nature too.