kali linux on host linuxmint19.1 32bit machine install fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ric58

kali linux on host linuxmint19.1 32bit machine install fails

Post by ric58 »

I installed the virtualbox software package that comes with the linuxmint19.1 distro I downloaded the the 32bit iso of kali linux my

my computer system System:
Host: presarioV6000 Kernel: 4.15.0-188-generic i686 bits: 32
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

machine Mobo: Quanta model: 30D3 v: 65.3A serial: <root required>
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: F.1F date: 12/05/2007

CPU:
Topology: Single Core model: Mobile AMD Sempron 3500+ bits: 64 type: UP
L2 cache: 512 KiB
Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/1800 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 800
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 50.58 GiB used: 14.67 GiB (29.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
troy@presarioV6000:~$

virtualbox ver 5.2.42_Ubuntu r137960

The kali linux install fails
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: kali linux on host linuxmint19.1 32bit machine install fails

Post by scottgus1 »

ric58 wrote:the virtualbox software package that comes with the linuxmint19.1 distro
virtualbox ver 5.2.42_Ubuntu
This is Ubuntu's fork of Virtualbox, which we don't support on these forums. Ubuntu forums support their forks, or you can uninstall the fork and install official Virtualbox instead. See the prerequisites: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... linux-host and the download site https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
ric58 wrote:Mobile AMD Sempron 3500+
Your computer is very low capability (only one core) and will not likely do well in running a virtual machine, unless the VM is running DOS. Be prepared for poor performance. It will probably fail to run Mint and Kali at the same time.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The following is a PM that was sent to me by ric58:
First and foremost Thank you for your help with my computer keep up the good work.
As you said in your reply my machine will not do very well running linux mint and kali linux in
virtualbox unless I use Dos.

Question, Do you think a dual boot option will work with linux mint and kali linux on my
machine I have it setup already but when it boots the splash icon displays but then goes to
initamfs then say's type help there's a busybox with commands to use what is it please ?
I brought this over to your topic, ric58, because it's a good extension of the topic. Also, because I can't answer the question, as I'm no Linux guru. :lol:

It does seem that you could run Mint and Kali in dual-boot, then the PC would only be running one OS at a time, which is probably more within the capabilities of the PC.

However, I don't know how to set up such a dual-boot, or to troubleshoot the busybox problem. Maybe a forum Linux guru will weigh in?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The Kali Linux version, which you're trying to install, will have some system requirements stated somewhere on their web pages. I'd suggest to compare those requirements with the available resources of your PC. When a large Linux installation drops you to an extra small rescue system like BusyBox, it's often a sign of a major resource or compatibility problem.