Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is useless)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
teanster123

Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is useless)

Post by teanster123 »

Hi. I also just installed VirtualBox today, and I had to uninstall it because I had the same problem with the Mouse Integration being unavailable. I tried many solutions, but none of them worked. So I was wondering how to fix this problem because I want to be able to give VirtualBox a try. I would appreciate it if how to fix this problem was explained in detail so it would be easy for me to understand. I'm new here and have a lot to learn because this is my very first time using VirtualBox as I've never used it before.

Thanks for your time and effort.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is useless)

Post by scottgus1 »

I moved this to a fresh topic so the "Solved" in the original topic doesn't throw folks off.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
teanster123

Re: Cannot use VirtualBox because Mouse Integration not available (Virtual Machine is useless)

Post by teanster123 »

Do you mean this one? I hope it works.
Attachments
EricasVirtualBoxWin98-2022-06-30-17-28-46.zip
(117.15 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It seems that the zip file is corrupted. Can you please try again?
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

The zip file is the log file as a text file a zip extension....
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

AndyCot wrote:The zip file is the log file as a text file a zip extension....
Well, of all the.... Sure enough, it is! Thanks very much, Andy!

OK, now that Andy has given the key to open the log, Teanster, We can say definitively why Mouse Integration won't work in your VM. Mouse Integration requires Guest Additions, It's a Windows 98 VM, and there are no Guest Additions for 98, nor 95 or ME. So your mouse will be captured by this VM and you'll have to tap the Host Key (typically the Right Control key) to release the mouse from the VM.

One other curious point:
00:00:24.318693 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from Floppy 0 failed
00:00:24.318929 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot : bseqnr=2, bootseq=0023
00:00:24.319656 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: CDROM boot failure code : 0003
00:00:24.319726 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from CD-ROM failed
00:00:24.320069 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot : bseqnr=3, bootseq=0002
00:00:24.320379 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed
00:00:24.321013 VMMDev: Guest Log: No bootable medium found! System halted.
There's no operating system in this VM either. You have to provide the OS to go inside the VM. See section 1 in the Virtualbox manual.