Mouse bug in debian

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Mouse bug in debian

Post by fth0 »

Please read my post Re: Mouse click lost after a while and take a look at the ticket and thread linked within that post. I recently stumbled upon that background information which could explain many (if not all) of the "mouse clicks lost" reports.
markd89

Post by markd89 »

gusnan wrote:
gusnan wrote:Does anyone else see it on an updated Debian 11.4, or is it fixed with the Linux upgrade like mentioned in my post just above?
Now I did run into it myself again,so the 11.4 Debian update of the Linux package didn't fix it. To me it seems to be way longer between times now though.

I have Slack and Steam running at the time when running into this problem, I thought it might be good to mention (If I remember correctly I pretty much always have those running when running into the problem).

Another point of data is that I only need to do a savesate on the VM to fix the problem, I don't need to shut down virtualbox completely.
I'm not running Steam or Slack. So far, the common denominator seems to be x.org. Wayland is the default for Debian, so x.org users are a minority. It could be coincidence that all 3 of us so far are x.org, but...
acsmith

Post by acsmith »

I seem to only experience this issue when I full screen, if I stay in a windowed virtual machine it doesn't seem to happen.

Not sure how relevant this is but figured would share.
gusnan

Post by gusnan »

acsmith wrote:I seem to only experience this issue when I full screen, if I stay in a windowed virtual machine it doesn't seem to happen.

Not sure how relevant this is but figured would share.
Thanks - any info that could help the developers are appreciated. I, however, pretty much never run my Virtualbox VMs in fullscreen.
acsmith

Post by acsmith »

Just to confirm, I have been using Virtual box now for nearly an hour with no issues, as soon as I press ctrl+F the mouse clicks lock up and I have to force the VM to shutdown.
markd89

Post by markd89 »

What has focus when you hit Ctrl-F? What OS is the guest?
acsmith

Post by acsmith »

markd89 wrote:What has focus when you hit Ctrl-F? What OS is the guest?
The guest operating system is Arch but I have a Windows 10 and a Kali guest that have the same issue. the host is Ubuntu 22.04
markd89

Post by markd89 »

I have Debian host and Win7-32 and Win7-64 as guests. Ctrl-F does toggle full screen but doesn't create the issue for me, so there must be another detail.

I don't normally run full screen guests so full screen is not necessary to see the issue. I asked about your Ctrl-F experience because I was hoping it would duplicate for me and then give the devs an easy way to see it on their systems.
markd89

Post by markd89 »

Another clue, perhaps. I lost the mouse click again today. I was able to suspend the VMs, but it wasn't until I killed the Libreoffice process that I got the click back. I wonder if other people also have Libreoffice open when the issue occurs?
acsmith

Post by acsmith »

Unfortunately not, mine can crash on the desktop as soon as I startup and switch to full screen.
acsmith

Post by acsmith »

Has any more been found out on this? I periodically update to the latest Virtual Box and try again, but it seems that the issue I am having is still having the issue with my Mouse freezing and not recovering when using a virtual windows machine inside a Ubuntu 22.04 host.

Virtual box is Version 7.0.6 r155176 (Qt5.15.3)
Ubuntu version Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS x86_64

I used to use Virtual Box all the time, but this issue is really causing me issues. I suspect the issue is actually related to Ubuntu somehow as my windows host running VB does not suffer from this same issue.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, I don't know if anything new has been discovered, but I've noticed several new log messages in the DnD implementation in VirtualBox 7.0.6, apparently meant for collecting information.
gusnan

Post by gusnan »

The last post in this thread could be a solution: viewtopic.php?t=87766&start=30

I'm trying it now, and so far so good (keeping my fingers crossed).