ext-pack auto update on uBuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mbudd

ext-pack auto update on uBuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Post by mbudd »

I've been using virtualbox for some time on a Dell 7590. Within the last couple months my USB integration failed. So now I'm noticing this:
mbudd@TreeClimberLap:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -l | grep virtualb
ii virtualbox-6.1 6.1.34-150636.1~Ubuntu~eoan amd64 Oracle VM VirtualBox
rc virtualbox-ext-pack 6.1.32-1~ubuntu1.20.04.1 all extra capabilities for VirtualBox, downloader.
...an obvious problem is the version discrepancy. I've downloaded the most recent available- virtualbox-6.1_6.1.34-150636.1_Ubuntu_jammy_amd64.deb, and Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.34.vbox-extpack
and then removed what I had and used apt to install the first file, and then double-clicked on the second one as in the instructions. So what am I doing wrong?
I have consistently found that virtualbox's automatic updates break my installation and it is very frustrating. I would like to solve that core issue so this does not happen all the time and require manual debugging/downloading. Here are the virtualbox entries in /etc/apt/sources.list

deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian eoan contrib

...some more things that may help??

VBoxManage list usbhost
Host USB Devices:

<none>
mbudd@TreeClimberLap:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-6.1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
virtualbox-6.1 is already the newest version (6.1.34-150636.1~Ubuntu~eoan).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Here is the VirtualBox - Question when I install the ext-pack:
The extension pack is already installed with the same version, would you like reinstall it?
Extension packs complement the functionality of VirtualBox and can contain system level software that could be potentially harmful to your system. Please review the description below and only proceed if you have obtained the extension pack from a trusted source.

Name:
Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
Version:
6.1.34r150636
Description:
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure integration, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM, Disk Encryption, NVMe.

------------------

The following commands are consecutive after installing the ext-pack

mbudd@TreeClimberLap:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -l | grep virtualb
ii virtualbox-6.1 6.1.34-150636.1~Ubuntu~eoan amd64 Oracle VM VirtualBox
rc virtualbox-ext-pack 6.1.32-1~ubuntu1.20.04.1 all extra capabilities for VirtualBox, downloader.
mbudd@TreeClimberLap:~/Downloads$ sudo apt remove virtualbox-ext-pack
Building dependency tree
Package 'virtualbox-ext-pack' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
-----------------
Here is the output when I install the downloaded .deb file:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mbudd mbudd 93729856 Jun 15 18:37 virtualbox-6.1_6.1.34-150636.1_Ubuntu_jammy_amd64.deb
mbudd@TreeClimberLap:~/Downloads$ less showvminfo.txt
mbudd@TreeClimberLap:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install ./virtualbox-6.1_6.1.34-150636.1_Ubuntu_jammy_amd64.deb
Building dependency tree
Note, selecting 'virtualbox-6.1' instead of './virtualbox-6.1_6.1.34-150636.1_Ubuntu_jammy_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
virtualbox-6.1 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.34) but 2.31-0ubuntu9.9 is to be installed
Depends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.15.1) but 5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu2.1 is to be installed
Depends: libqt5gui5 (>= 5.14.1) but 5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu2.1 is to be installed or
libqt5gui5-gles (>= 5.14.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.15.1) but 5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu2.1 is to be installed
Depends: libssl3 (>= 3.0.0~~alpha1) but it is not installable
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 11) but 10.3.0-1ubuntu1~20.04 is to be installed
Depends: libvpx7 (>= 1.10.0) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Attachments
showvminfo.txt
showvminfo
(4.6 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: ext-pack auto update on uBuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Post by scottgus1 »

Official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads does not auto-update. You can stay on an old official version for as long as you wish. There is a pop-up informing of new versions, but it is merely informational, does not force the update and can be turned off.

If your Virtualbox is auto-updating it could mean a couple things:
  • You are running official Virtualbox, but you're interpreting the Update Available pop-up as an Update Required, then manually starting the update, which it isn't and you don't have to.
  • You're running the fork of Virtualbox provided and maintained by your Linux distro, and either they have wired into the fork an auto-updater or their package manager orders the update. They maintain and support their fork, so you'd have to ask them how to stop the auto-updating.
Please note that official Virtualbox has prerequisites, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq .

We would recommend using official Virtualbox, placing proper weight on the Update Available pop-up as informational only, or shut it off, and then always run the matching Extension Pack, downloaded separately from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads. The EP can be uninstalled & installed inside the main Virtualbox window if your Linux host has a GUI, see the File menu, Preferences, Extensions. If you're running a text-only host, uninstall & install the EP using the 'vboxmanage extpack' command: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08. ... ge-extpack
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mbudd wrote:rc virtualbox-ext-pack 6.1.32-1~ubuntu1.20.04.1 [...] So what am I doing wrong?
You're probably misinterpreting the output of sudo dpkg -l: The "rc" means that the package was removed, but the config-files were kept. That's the expected result of sudo apt remove <pkg>. Use sudo apt purge <pkg> to also remove the config files. For details about the flags, see What do the various dpkg flags like 'ii' 'rc' mean?.
mbudd

Post by mbudd »

fth0 wrote:
mbudd wrote:rc virtualbox-ext-pack 6.1.32-1~ubuntu1.20.04.1 [...] So what am I doing wrong?
You're probably misinterpreting the output of sudo dpkg -l: The "rc" means that the package was removed, but the config-files were kept. That's the expected result of sudo apt remove <pkg>. Use sudo apt purge <pkg> to also remove the config files. For details about the flags, see What do the various dpkg flags like 'ii' 'rc' mean?.
Yes, I found your suggestion to be correct. But even so, that does not explain the failure of the ext-pack to install correctly. It seems from the output that it is not installed at all. And when I try to install it I get the conflicts at the end of my post.

I have been referring to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. As a last resort I deviated from that and changed the sources.list <mydist> from eoan to focal (I'm guessing that may have caused the conflicts. Indeed, after removing and purging all virtualbox stuff and then installing virtualbox and virtualbox-ext-pack it seems to have installed without the previous conflicts. But I still VBoxManage list usbhost shows <none>.

So I'm back at square one with even less of an idea where to turn.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

mbudd wrote:So I'm back at square one with even less of an idea where to turn.
Well, you had hidden the USB problems a little bit behind other topics. Can you provide a (zipped) VBox.log file from a complete VM run, so that we can assess if your setup is generally clean now? Additionally, could you describe which USB device we're not seeing? I may have overlooked something, or you didn't mention it so far.
mbudd

Post by mbudd »

fth0 wrote:Well, you had hidden the USB problems a little bit behind other topics. Can you provide a (zipped) VBox.log file from a complete VM run, so that we can assess if your setup is generally clean now? Additionally, could you describe which USB device we're not seeing? I may have overlooked something, or you didn't mention it so far.
The essential point is not to just fix the USB problem this time, but to learn how to avoid this happening every upgrade. I'm attaching VBox.log, and here is lsusb on my system:
mbudd@TreeClimberLap:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 2109:0820 VIA Labs, Inc. USB3.1 Hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 27c6:5395 Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd. Fingerprint Reader
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 208e:0001 EPSON EPSON Scanner
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2109:2820 VIA Labs, Inc. USB2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0029 Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0c45:6723 Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:013a Seiko Epson Corp. GT-X820 [Perfection V600 Photo]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

My need at the moment is for the Epson scanner, which shows up twice on this list for some reason?? I need others at other times.
Attachments
VBox.zip
VMBox.log for the last run
(38.24 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mbudd

Post by mbudd »

GRRR! I just found the latest problem. My membership in vboxusers was missing. What am I doing that causes that to be lost without my doing anything?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

for USB issues, please see USB basics and troubleshooting.

Re auto-updating, see my post above.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the VBox.log file shows a clean installation of the Ubuntu-provided VirtualBox 6.1.32 packages. I don't see any device twice in the lsusb output.
mbudd

Post by mbudd »

Thanks for your help. I guess thats all we can do for now.