How can I have a private network with a DHCP server and clients into VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mcl1996

How can I have a private network with a DHCP server and clients into VirtualBox

Post by mcl1996 »

Hello
Did you solve your problem? I'm having the same problem as you.
My host version is windows 11 22H2 25136.1000 and vbox version is 6.1.34
I created a dhcpserver called mydhcp and assigned this (mydhcp) internal network to all the VMs, but all the VMs can't get an IP address
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How can I have a private network with a DHCP server and clients into VirtualBox

Post by scottgus1 »

We'll need the same diagnostic data to help:

1. For each VM, please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Copy the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file) to the desktop. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.) Zip up all of the .vbox files, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

2. Also, for each VM and for the host, open a Command Prompt/Terminal and run ipconfig /all for Windows or ip address for Linux. Post the command output. Label which is which.

3. Start all the VMs from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the network problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS. Right-click each VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log to the desktop, naming each log so we know which VM it came from. Zip all the logs, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

4. Finally, please run these commands on the host's Command Prompt and post the result:

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox"
vboxmanage list dhcpservers
mcl1996

Re: How can I have a private network with a DHCP server and clients into VirtualBox

Post by mcl1996 »

Hello
All the information has been collected Please see the attachment
1. List of all virtual machines
In order to meet the requirement of uploading the attachment size, I put the screenshot of the host vbox dhcpserver and the screenshot of the host IP address into the vm list
Please understand the inconvenience caused to you
2. List of all virtual machine IP addresses
This contains the IP addresses of all virtual machines
3. List of all virtual machine logs
This contains the logs of all the virtual machines
Attachments
3.Log list.zip
(133.56 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
2.IP list.zip
(154.27 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
1.VM list.zip
(183.02 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hey there, MCL! I got your PM. Sorry for forgetting about this topic, will look the info over and hopefully get you some ideas today.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info, MCL! Interestingly, 我在学中文, 但说的不好. :D I had to put a few things through MandarinSpot.

Your VMs appear to me to be correctly attached to the "mydhcp" Internal network, and the DHCP server for "mydhcp" also appears to be set up correctly. But none of the VMs' adapters are getting IP addresses from it. The Windows VMs are self-assigning APIPA addresses, and the Linux VMs have nothing.

This one is a puzzle to me. There are some forum gurus who are networking geniuses, maybe they'll weigh in. If you install Wireshark in one of the Windows VMs, enable "Promiscuous Mode = All" on all the Internal network adapters, and run a Wireshark trace regarding the DHCP requests, that may help said gurus figure out what is wrong.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The VirtualBox statistics show that the Windows guests sent ~200 Ethernet frames and the Windows guests sent ~20 Ethernet frames, but the VMs didn't receive any Ethernet frames. In addition to the Wireshark capture proposed by scottgus1, I'd suggest to look at the DHCP server log files in the C:\Users\<username>\.VirtualBox folder.

Additionally, note that Windows 11 Insider Preview builds officially are not supported.
mcl1996

Post by mcl1996 »

Thanks to scottgus1 and fth0 for replying to me
I run the commands "ipconfig /renew" and "ipconfig /relasase" on the VM and do a wireshark packet capture analysis.But I did not analyze anything, maybe my level is not enough.I saved the wireshark results and put them in the attachment, hopefully it will help me analyze them.
Also, I checked the dhcp server log files in the C:\Users\<username>\.VirtualBox folder that fth0 said,I can't seem to find the relevant documents.
Please help me determine what the problem is if it's convenient. If the probability is that the problem is with the operating system, I will change my operating system.
Attachments
dhcpserver 0720.zip
(184.06 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The VirtualBox DHCP server isn't running. Otherwise, there would be mydhcp-Dhcpd.log* files.

Reboot you host, start a VM to reproduce the issue, and provide a zip file containing the VBoxSVC.log* files, or better yet, the whole folder. Perhaps this can tell us why the DHCP server isn't running.
mcl1996

Post by mcl1996 »

.VirtualBox-2.zip
(61.47 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
.VirtualBox-2.zip
(61.47 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Hello, I tried restarting the host and restarting the VM, but I still don't see the log file named "mydhcp-Dhcpd.log".
But I do see the log file of the dhcpserver named "mydhcpserver" that I had created.
Because there is a size limit for uploading files,I divided the files in the ".VirtualBox" folder into two zip packages and uploaded them, so you can combine them when you check the problem again.
Thank you very much for your help!
There is an unexpected situation, there is a certificate file named "vbox-ssl-cacertificate" in the compression process, because I have been unable to compress it under 256KB size, so I gave up uploading it, if you must need this file, please let me know your email, I can send you an email
Attachments
.VirtualBox-3.zip
(205.78 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

In May 2022, you had a Windows 11 build 25115, VirtualBox 6.1.32 and a network named mydhcpnetwork, and working DHCP negotiations.

In July 2022, you have a Windows 11 build 25158, VirtualBox 6.1.34 and a network named mydhcp. The DHCP server was started (e.g. 00:00:10.820634 in VBoxSVC.log) and stopped (e.g. 00:01:44.783390 in VBoxSVC.log), but there is no corresponding log file.

You could try different combinations of Windows 11 builds and VirtualBox versions ...

PS: The vbox-ssl-cacertificate file is irrelevant for this problem.
Nachtkrabb

Post by Nachtkrabb »

Please pardon me for just posting something. I want to add a question and always get the error message that I can't do that before having posted something.
So I just post something.
Please do ignore this and accept my apologies for your inconvenience.
N.