kernel greater than 5.17.11 makes virutalbox unstable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jagdpanther
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows10, Linux

kernel greater than 5.17.11 makes virutalbox unstable

Post by jagdpanther »

Within the Linux 5.17.x kernel branch, when I upgrade my kernel to any version greater than 5.17.11, virtual box guests (both Linux and Windows guests) become unstable and unusable. I am running virtualbox-6.1.34. (I tested and found this virtualbox guest failure when using Linux kernel-5.17.12, 5.17.13 and 5.17.14. I have not tired 5.18.x as there is a known issue with running virtualbox-6.1.34 with that kernel series.) I also have this problem on a second Linux system. (Both are current and updated Gentoo Linux systems.)

I describe the VirtualBox guest issues below.

When the issue occurs, there are no additional lines added to the host system ~/.config/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log. Also there are no additional entries in host's /var/log/messages. (On the guest Linux system I did see some errors in the RedHat VM while doing a tail -f of /var/log/messages via ssh.)

I ran a diff between the VirtualBox working kernel config file and the non-working config file and there are no differences:

/boot]$ diff config-5.17.11-gentoo-2 config-5.17.12-gentoo-3
3c3
< # Linux/x86 5.17.11-gentoo-2 Kernel Configuration
---
> # Linux/x86 5.17.12-gentoo-3 Kernel Configuration

Linux guest issue (no VBox guest additions):

After booting the Oracle-8 (RHEL-8 clone) guest VM and then logging into the guest, I set higher guest screen resolution, which works. Soon after that, usually after moving a terminal window within the guest VM, the VM window appears to crash to a Linux console VM window for a few seconds then the Oracle-8 login screen re-appears. (I assume something is happening to the VM's Xwindow server or Wayland.) I can subsequently login again to the guest VM and repeat the problem.

Windows 10 guest issue (with VBox guest additions):

I can login to the normal Win10 logon screen which leads to a much larger VM screen (because of a past addition of VBox guest additions and dragging the screen.) Soon after I launch any Win10 app and move it (or not) Win10 exits back to the Win10 login screen. Then I can log back into the VM and repeat ...

Any ideas other that remaining at Linux kernel-5.17.11?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: kernel greater than 5.17.11 makes virutalbox unstable

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, VirtualBox 6.1.34 does not support Linux kernel 5.18. The VirtualBox test builds 6.1.35r151573 (and newer) are supposed to support Linux kernel 5.18 on the host and in the guest.

Perhaps the actual border is between 5.17.11 and 5.17.12 ...

Please report back after you've tried VirtualBox 6.1.35r151573 (or newer).
DrWatson

Post by DrWatson »

This is a unneeded double post as there is already a discussion with solutions available.
Please check if there are postings available before opening a new one.

forums.virtualbox[.]org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106071

Greetings,
Henrik
MasterCATZ

Post by MasterCATZ »

5.17.14-051714-generic

now starting to wounder if this is whats causing all my issues for the last month I have been chasing my tail trying to workout what updates broken everything

"Home Assistant" keeps crashing

deluge on Ubuntu 16.04 , 18.04 keeps spitting out python errors and Ubuntu 22.04 Server will not even get past its installer
5.17.14-051714-generic
reboot pc into memtest loops for the night and it comes back clean

ZFS reports no crc issues between the 3 way raid virtualbox stores its files on

to me it seems to be either a kernelbug or virtualbox bug causing some memory issues

*edit*

5.17.11-051711-generic and everything is back to normal .. wow 1 month of wasted time because of that , the amount of VB OS Re-installs and SQL database recovery I was doing all because of a VB / kernel bug

as soon as i dropped back to 5.11 kernel Ubuntu 22.04 Server would actually install , and I tried doing that a hundred times , now to see if I get python garbage
I really hope this ends all the "Home Assistant" data base crashes as well
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

For all me-too-ers, there has been a change in the Linux kernels lately that has required a new development setup by the devs. So this is not a Virtualbox bug but a host OS change that has to be compensated for. It has been discussed on the forum for a few weeks.

Please try the test builds.