boot and use *.iso in Vbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Joe890

boot and use *.iso in Vbox

Post by Joe890 »

Hello forum,

Is there a way to boot and use(no persistance) an ISO(Linux and Microsoft) in Vbox, without the need to install the OS and to answer questions about disk-size and format?

Thank's in advance!

Joe
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: boot and use *.iso in Vbox

Post by mpack »

Anything you can do on a PC, you can do on a virtual PC. There is no difference.
Joe890

Post by Joe890 »

Thank's for the feedback! Even your answer is probably not wrong, I did ask something different...

Regards,

Joe
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, I just read it again and it still reads to me as "can I boot from a live-CD inside a VM?" and the answer is as above.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Joe890 wrote:Is there a way to boot and use(no persistance) an ISO(Linux and Microsoft) in Vbox, without the need to install the OS and to answer questions about disk-size and format?
I gather that the part of the question which makes this different from "Can I boot a VM from an ISO" is probably the bolded part.

The questions asked by the OS inside the ISO are set by the distributers of the ISO. For example, a CentOS installer goes to the installer right off, if I remember correctly. However, DSL goes straight to its desktop. I believe Ubuntu gives you a choice between an installer or a non-persistent desktop. I think Mint goes to a non-persistent desktop, with an option to install.

Windows doesn't put out a straight-to-desktop ISO. There's some way to make a boot environment from a Windows setup, web-search "BartPE" (a discontinued utility to make a boot environment out of an XP CD) then search for alternatives. There should be a way to do this for modern Windows (Macrium Reflect does it for their rescue environment).

'Tis a choice of ISO's, which Virtualbox has no control over.