Windows 10 installation error 0x80070570 on Arch (EndeavourOS)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
handsanitation2

Windows 10 installation error 0x80070570 on Arch (EndeavourOS)

Post by handsanitation2 »

I've been trying to install Windows 10 on virtual box on my EndavourOS desktop machine. The installation is brand new.

The other solutions to this issue haven't really helped as they've been about the error appearing on a windows 10 host. I couldn't find any solutions for those experiencing the error on a Linux machine, so that's why I am making a new thread.

I've attached a log in the zip file below.

The VM does tell me, if I hover over the "V box" with a bar next to it, that the "Paravirtualization Interface" is Hyper V which is interesting as this was the culprit in the case of windows hosts experiencing the error. However, I couldn't find any resources on disabling Hyper V on a linux computer, is anyone familiar with this?

I do not think the issue is a corrupted ISO as I have downloaded two ISOs, one from Microsoft's own website and one from a third party collection. The same error appeared in the same place for both ISOs.

Other things that haven't worked is ticking the Solid-State Drive box or disabling the USB.

I load the windows 10 ISO through SATA as an optical drive attachment. I'd post images to illustrate but my "account isn't old enough" so I guess you'll just have to trust me.

I guess the first answer to test would be disabling Hyper V on arch, does anyone know how to do that? All the resources I found are, again, exclusively for windows.
Attachments
Windows 10-2022-05-06-20-42-10.log.tar.gz
poot poot
(26.69 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 installation error 0x80070570 on Arch (EndeavourOS)

Post by mpack »

handsanitation2 wrote: The VM does tell me, if I hover over the "V box" with a bar next to it, that the "Paravirtualization Interface" is Hyper V which is interesting
Not very interesting. That setting selects which API this guest OS - if hypervisor aware - prefers to use to talk to a hypervisor. Windows guests will talk Hyper-v, Linux guests will talk KVM. I suggest that you leave it on "Default".

That setting has nothing to do with what style of hypervisor the HOST OS likes to talk to. And anyway, VirtualBox has no ability to turn host OS features on and off.

Your VM settings look good to me. The only strange thing is the number of clock updates when it should be booting. That looks to me like network wait times, I guess the installer ISO is just a stub and it's looking for a server to download data from.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:The only strange thing is the number of clock updates when it should be booting.
FWIW, I've seen that regularly in my own working Windows VMs (not in Linux VMs), and all those events took place within 1 second here.

I didn't see any indication of an error in the Windows 10-2022-05-06-20-42-10.log file. The configuration also looked ok to me. The VM has been shut down after ~10 seconds of runtime, after ~600 MB had been read from the ISO image.
handsanitation2

Post by handsanitation2 »

mpack wrote: Your VM settings look good to me. The only strange thing is the number of clock updates when it should be booting. That looks to me like network wait times, I guess the installer ISO is just a stub and it's looking for a server to download data from.
Do you reckon it's possibly an issue with the ISO provided by microsoft then?
Last edited by mpack on 7. May 2022, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim unnecessary verbatim quote.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

handsanitation2 wrote: Do you reckon it's possibly an issue with the ISO?
Well, the Internet seems to believe that 0x80070570 is caused by a corrupted installer download, so yes that is looking like a good possibility.