VM not accessible after Ubuntu OS upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
69_pixlz

VM not accessible after Ubuntu OS upgrade

Post by 69_pixlz »

Host - Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

VB Version - 6.1 (VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.32_Ubuntu r149290)

Guest OS - Kali Linux (installed at 21.04, not sure if it was upgraded to a higher version)

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and my VM is no longer accessible in VB. I was on 20.04 LTS before and it worked without issues.

This is what I'm getting in my VB VM page -

Code: Select all

Runtime error opening '/path/to/base/directory/Kali-Linux-2021.4-virtualbox-amd64.vbox' for reading: -38 (Access denied.).
/build/virtualbox-jUWhlP/virtualbox-6.1.32-dfsg/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[754] (nsresult Machine::i_registeredInit()).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
Tried looking up the NS_ERROR_FAILURE but nothing came up relevant to my case. Not sure if this is the case because VB doesnt have 22.04 not listed in the official downloads on the site or something else. The base folder directory is owned by the user which im using to log into the system and has rwx permissions on it.

Any help is really appreciated! Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VM not accessible after Ubuntu OS upgrade

Post by mpack »

The error is access denied, probably meaning that you are now a different user and therefore no longer have access to the document folders of the original user. Perhaps all you need to do is move and then re-register the VM folders, or just log back in as the correct user.

Note however that "6.1.32_Ubuntu" is not VirtualBox, it's a third party build from the open sources. We do not support third party builds here - we expect you to be using the official build, or else get your support from the third party.
69_pixlz

Post by 69_pixlz »

mpack wrote:The error is access denied, probably meaning that you are now a different user and therefore no longer have access to the document folders of the original user. Perhaps all you need to do is move and then re-register the VM folders, or just log back in as the correct user.

Note however that "6.1.32_Ubuntu" is not VirtualBox, it's a third party build from the open sources. We do not support third party builds here - we expect you to be using the official build, or else get your support from the third party.
Hey thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate more on "move and re-register the VM folders"? I did a whoami on my terminal and that same user is the owner of the folders where the VM is installed. This is very strange behavior, started happening after I updated to 22.04 from 20.04. Could something have trigger after the update? Also I had previously downloaded the .deb from the virtualbox official site and then uninstalled and installed it again using apt. If I run as root, I cant see the VM in virtualbox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

As I mentioned, the error is "access denied", an OS error. If you believe your user should have access then this becomes an Ubuntu support issue and I suggest you ask the question on their forums.