Correct version additions install incorrect version of additions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ofthecent

Correct version additions install incorrect version of additions

Post by ofthecent »

So I have 6.1.32 additions iso. Same VM. Two kernels.
I install on the stock kernel, the log says additions loads great, the additions version is 6.1.32, matches the VBox version.
I install the SAME additions file on custom kernel that was compiled on the stock kernel localmodconfig with additions present. The additions doesn't load successfully. The log says additions version is 6.0.0, while VBox host version is 6.1.32. :shock:
Please help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Correct version additions install incorrect version of additions

Post by scottgus1 »

ofthecent wrote:The additions doesn't load successfully. The log says additions version is 6.0.0
If the new Guest Additions install fails, then the old GAs installed by default in the Linux distro (the distros do that sort of thing...) stay in place.

Looks like you'll have to troubleshoot why the install failed. The custom kernel just might have something to do with it. :wink: :D
ofthecent

Post by ofthecent »

scottgus1 wrote:ooks like you'll have to troubleshoot why the install failed. The custom kernel just might have something to do with it. :wink: :D
That's the thing - the install completes successfully, I get no errors. So how to troubleshoot if it looks to install successfully?
ofthecent

Additions installs but won't load

Post by ofthecent »

I have a custom kernel that was built using localmodconfig on a VM running additions. Additions installs without error on this custom kernel but it doesn't load additions when booting.
ofthecent

Re: Additions installs but won't load

Post by ofthecent »

This screws with being able to change screen resolution. The tentative solution that alleviates some of this for me is to not use VMSVGA but use VBoxSVBA. This allows resolution to be changed. Shared folders still doesn't work.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Merged, because the topics look the same to me. (Might be wrong...) Forum rules prohibit multiple topics on the one problem.

We will need a Linux guru to weigh in on this. Please wait a few days to see if one can say what needs to be done.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Please install the VirtualBox Guest Additions again and post the output of the terminal window.