Virtualbox guest does not "see" USB 3 device if plugged into physical USB 3 port on host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
HarryMan
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: devuan, MX-Linux, others

Virtualbox guest does not "see" USB 3 device if plugged into physical USB 3 port on host

Post by HarryMan »

I have a Devuan Linux host (debian 11) with a guest OS also running a version of Linux.
The Extension Pack is installed so I have USB 3.0 support.
I have a USB 3.0 device which I plugged into a USB 3.0 port on the host (not a USB 2.x port!)
The host reports the device in the output of "lsusb"
In the configuration for the guest, I opened the USB tab and selected USB 3.0 support.
I created a filter for the above USB 3.0 device in the configuration menu and left the newly-created filter enabled
(I was able to select the device on the configuration page.)
I saved the configuration and launched the guest.
When the guest reaches the grub menu, I pause the timedown by pressing the space bar.
I go into the guest menu and look at the list of USB devices for the guest.
The device I chose for the filter is not even listed, even though I was able to select the device for the filter I created for this guest.
If I continue the bootup, the guest OS does not display the device with "lsusb"

However, if I move the physical USB device to a USB 2.0 port, and reboot the guest, then everything works as expected.

One other thing to consider is that there is another USB device with the same chipset so it is reported as a "double" of the device selected. The two can be distinguished by their VID/PID, so there is no confusion about that. In fact, by ONLY switching the physical port, the device works in the guest as usual.
Just for good measure, I disconnected the "double" so there would only be one device with that chipset listed for selection, and it made no difference.

The reason for attempting to use a 3.0 device in a 3.0 host usb port is that I can get higher speeds with the device, which is a gigabit ethernet adapter. The adapter has worked faithfully for me for a few years, but only as a 2.0 device.

Sorry for the lengthiness, but frankly, I'd rather be scolded for too much than not enough information, which has happened on the vbox forums in the past.
Attachments
GuestWithUSB3.0Adapter.log.gz
Session Log
(34.86 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox guest does not "see" USB 3 device if plugged into physical USB 3 port on host

Post by scottgus1 »

USB 3 is enabled, but only the Virtualbox USB Tablet connects:
11:26:22.426100 00:00:01.746715 [/Devices/usb-xhci/] (level 2)
11:26:22.676051 00:00:01.996714 VUSB: Attached 'HidMouse' to port 1 on RootHub#1 (FullSpeed)
11:28:06.173458 00:01:45.494175 VUSB: Detached 'HidMouse' from port 1 on RootHub#1
Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
HarryMan
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: devuan, MX-Linux, others

Re: Virtualbox guest does not "see" USB 3 device if plugged into physical USB 3 port on host

Post by HarryMan »

it turns out that the Linux kernel I was using does not support USB 3.0.

I have upgraded my host to a newer version, and a backported kernel is available. I will update to that once I get other matters settled.

I think it is safe to close this as "incompatible kernel." Thank you for your response though.