Virtualbox 6.1 Code NS_ERROR_SOCKET_FAIL (0xC1F30200) - IPC daemon socket error (extended info not a

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
denk

Re: Virtualbox 6.1 Code NS_ERROR_SOCKET_FAIL (0xC1F30200) - IPC daemon socket error (extended info n

Post by denk »

Only starting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC manually after a host reboot is not sufficient, as I get the following error message (both with regular user and root):

Code: Select all

VBoxSVC: error: Failed to get IPC service! (rc=NS_ERROR_SOCKET_FAIL)
XPCOM server has shutdown.
Please find attached the strace of a successful run VBoxManage under a regular user, after manually starting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD and afterwards /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC.

Thank you very much for also involving VirtualBox development!!
Attachments
strace.zip
(75.16 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
paulson
Oracle Corporation

Re: Virtualbox 6.1 Code NS_ERROR_SOCKET_FAIL (0xC1F30200) - IPC daemon socket error (extended info n

Post by paulson »

fth0 wrote:
I took a look at the VirtualBox source code changes between 6.1.30 and 6.1.32 in the area of process creation, and there were several topics involved: UTF8, locales, ...
and the problem is due to the locale handling here. For one of the
users who are seeing this problem can you provide the output of
'locale'? If you set LC_ALL to a typical locale name, whether C, POSIX,
any UTF-8 one or ISO* one, then things should work. For example:

$ LC_ALL=C VBoxManage list vms
It looks like "unusual" locales such as those with EUC in their names are not handled correctly.
denk

Post by denk »

paulson wrote:fth0 wrote:
I took a look at the VirtualBox source code changes between 6.1.30 and 6.1.32 in the area of process creation, and there were several topics involved: UTF8, locales, ...
and the problem is due to the locale handling here. For one of the
users who are seeing this problem can you provide the output of
'locale'? If you set LC_ALL to a typical locale name, whether C, POSIX,
any UTF-8 one or ISO* one, then things should work. For example:

It looks like "unusual" locales such as those with EUC in their names are not handled correctly.
Indeed, changing the locale to C leads to a successful run.
My locale settings are:

LANG=de_DE.UTF.8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF.8"
LC_ALL=
Running

works, whereas running

$ VBoxManage list vms
doesn't.

How can the VBox-Devs be made aware of this? Is there already a bug report?

Thank you very much for looking into this!!
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

denk wrote:How can the VBox-Devs be made aware of this?
AFAIK, paulson is part of the VirtualBox team. ;)
denk

Post by denk »

I am sorry, but it seems to be because I had chosen wrong locale settings on the system: Instead of de_DE.UTF.8 it should be de_DE.UTF-8. (Ref: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 7#p2041707)
Interesting that this must be the case since 2017, because to my memory I never touched the setting again after installation. And with the changes paulson mentioned, it seems the typo has now caused a problem for the first time. I'll monitor it some more and give final feedback again. Thanks so far in any case!
Last edited by denk on 17. Jun 2022, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Now that you've said it, it's rather obvious. It was even in the strace logs hiding in plain sight. I'm getting old. ;)

@paulson: Is this a bug or correct behavior?
paulson
Oracle Corporation

Post by paulson »

@paulson: Is this a bug or correct behavior?
@fth0: This is a bug. VirtualBox should safely handle invalid locale specifications by falling back
to a safe default. Fix is in progress.
denk

Post by denk »

denk wrote:I am sorry, but it seems to be because I had chosen wrong locale settings on the system: Instead of de_DE.UTF.8 it should be de_DE.UTF-8. (Ref: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 7#p2041707)
Interesting that this must be the case since 2017, because to my memory I never touched the setting again after installation. And with the changes paulson mentioned, it seems the typo has now caused a problem for the first time. I'll monitor it some more and give final feedback again. Thanks so far in any case!
A short update: I found out, that the culprit was that the typo (

de_DE.UTF.8
) was in a config file of KDE Plasma. When I corrected the entry to

de_DE.UTF-8
in ~/.config/plasma-localerc, VirtualBox started to work again, without the error message. So, from my end, this seems to be fixed. And great, that the source for the bug has already been identified and a fix is underway!
Thanks!
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You're welcome, and thanks for the good collaboration! :)
paulson
Oracle Corporation

Post by paulson »

Just to close the loop on this issue, the fix for this went into VirtualBox 6.1.36.