Chaotic behaviours of Virtualbox toolbar on guest's side

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Ricky Tigg

Chaotic behaviours of Virtualbox toolbar on guest's side

Post by Ricky Tigg »

Tested in host: Fedora 35, Gnome 41, VirtualBox GUI v. 6.1.32_rpmfusion r149290 (Qt5.15.2); Guestt: Windows 10.
  • Once clicking any of the options of that virtualbox toolbar – see virtualbox_Linux_v.6.1.32_host_Windows_10_guest.png – randomly occurs following chaotic behaviours:
    • either options are non-responsive to click invocations; Once that click has been invoked, the toolbar does remain persistently visible and afterwards clicking anywhere over the guest screen lightens the tool without leading to any effect.
    • or options are responsive, while the click invocation is the very first made to the interface. Once that click has been invoked, the toolbar does remain persistently visible and afterwards clicking anywhere over the guest screen lightens the tool without leading to any effect.
  • Once switched to Virtualbox manager, the whole interface is non-responsive to click invocations
As a result, for example GA cannot be installed into the guest. At last due to the conjunction of several active issues reported on that platform, that VM has to be shutdown from Linux by ending its process named VirtualBoxVM.
Attachments
VBox.log
Log
(78.58 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Virtualbox toolbar as guest interface
Virtualbox toolbar as guest interface
virtualbox_Linux_v.6.1.32_host_Windows_10_guest.png (11.9 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Chaotic behaviours of Virtualbox toolbar on guest's side

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm no Linux guru, but I have read that there's some glitches regarding Gnome. Can you please try a different desktop environment and see if the problems continue?
Ricky Tigg

Post by Ricky Tigg »

Having read your comment, i knew it might trigger a good reaction if only i could remember what is most often involved in issues dealing with graphics; Wayland protocol, which is on Gnome and KDE Plasma respectively served by Mutter and KWIn. Still on Gnome, once switched from session on Wayland to X.org, i could no more observe the issue. I kept investigating by installing KDE Plasma v. 5.23.5 then testing with both X and Wayland protocols, there i could not observe the issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ah, yes, good ol' Wayland... Been a thorn in Virtualbox's side for a while.

Perhaps a Bugtracker report with a log while Wayland is active might help the devs.
Ricky Tigg

Post by Ricky Tigg »

Good suggestion! Among others, as it would be worth to report that in host interfaces, digital sizes, which are expressed in byte, are invariably faulty exhibited, for instance with unit prefixes whose symbols refer to power of 10^3 (1000) instead of 2^10 (1024), which is the correct multiple.