Mouse stops working when clicking on mini-toolbar within full-screen-mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dciarnie

Mouse stops working when clicking on mini-toolbar within full-screen-mode

Post by dciarnie »

(mod edit: split from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105041)

I've run into the same issue but the issue, in my case anyway, isn't the mini-toolbar but full screen mode.

In my case, I'm running a Windows 10 guest on Fedora 35 using KDE as my window manager. I haven't tried any other guest OSes.

After starting Windows in full screen move and logging in (using only the keyboard), the mouse seems to work since, as I move it around, icons and the start button on the taskbar are highlighted and the mini-toolbar pops out and back when I hover near it. As soon as I click on anything, including the mini-toolbar, however, the mouse stops being detected since nothing gets highlighted as I move the mouse around. Fortunately, the keyboard is still detected allowing me to gracefully shutdown windows.

I did not think about exiting full screen mode before I saw your message but after playing around with that, I find that once the mouse stops working, exiting full screen mode does not restore it. If, however, I exit full screen mode before clicking on anything, the mouse works normally.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Mouse stops working when clicking on mini-toolbar within full-screen-mode

Post by scottgus1 »

Looks like we missed this one.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
dciarnie

Post by dciarnie »

Here's the requested log.
Attachments
Windows-10-2022-03-31-20-11-17.log.zip
(39.91 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the log. I don't see the 'insert the pointing device' in the log that happens when the 'USB Tablet' pointing device is being used. Are you making the VM use the PS/2 mouse?

There is a USB filter in place:
00:00:01.118510 VUSB: Attached '00007f7d883c5e80[proxy 058f:6364]' to port 1 on RootHub#1 (HighSpeed)
00:00:46.607470 VUSB: Detached '00007f7d883c5e80[proxy 058f:6364]' from port 1 on RootHub#1
What is this device? Is it a mouse, or the host's mouse?
dciarnie

Post by dciarnie »

That particular device is is a card reader.
And yes, I've set the VM to PS/2 mouse.
dciarnie

Post by dciarnie »

I installed 6.1.34 this morning but, unfortunately, the problem still exists.

Having said that, I discovered that on another machine, to which I only have intermittent access, the mouse works fine in full screen mode. I've attached the log for that machine to see if there are any clues to why it doesn't work on my machine. The only obvious difference that I can see is that the machine that doesn't work is BIOS while the one that does is UEFI. The virtual machines are, however. pretty much the same as the one on the UEFI machine was a copy of the one on the BIOS machine.
Attachments
Windows 10-2022-04-18-10-55-11.log.zip
(41.23 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
dciarnie

Post by dciarnie »

I finally figured out the problem after stumbling across a mention of Wayland in another thread about mouse problems.

Switching to X11 fixes the problem.