Critical Error / Guru Mediation (VM Win 10 stopped)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
leobap

Critical Error / Guru Mediation (VM Win 10 stopped)

Post by leobap »

Hello,

I have two virtual machines running on Ubuntu 20.04: a Win10 VM machine and a Linux Machine.
The linux machine is working perfectly, but the Win 10 machine stopped and can't initialize. Until yesterday everything was fine, the machine was turned off correctly, and no update was made today. My PC is an Acer Aspire GX, with 16 GB Ram and Intel Core i7 CPU.

The log is pasted below.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
VBox.zip
Guru log
(57.45 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Critical Error / Guru Mediation (VM Win 10 stopped)

Post by mpack »

00:00:10.916645 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
00:00:10.916662 Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
00:00:10.916999 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:00:10.917000 !!
00:00:10.917000 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -79 (VERR_INVALID_STATE)
In a Linux hosts context I believe that VERR_INVALID_STATE means that you have a KVM virtual machine kicking around somewhere.

Also, please update VirtualBox as 6.1.16 is getting a bit old - the current version is 6.1.32.
leobap

Post by leobap »

I Updated the Virtual box and the scenario worsens: all virtual machines stopped working and the remaining solution was re-install the Virtual box, and set up again the virtual machines.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I did not say that updating VirtualBox would solve your main problem. That's why that paragraph began with the word "Also", meaning in addition to the main discussion.

If you have a conflict with other VM software then the fact that the problem affects all VirtualBox VMs is expected.
leobap wrote:re-install the Virtual box, and set up again the virtual machines.
Nothing like that is required. I believe what is needed is to unload KVM from the host kernel, but I'll let a Linux expert comment on that.
leobap

Post by leobap »

No problem, I assumed that updating the Virtual box would correct the issue, however, everything crashed. Maybe there was a smart solution that I did not saw and my anxiety to solve the issue augmented the problem. But I installed everything and my VM is working fine.

But if anyone can tell me what the cause of the problem will help me to not face this issue again.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

There are two known issues leading to the Guru Meditation -79. You're not encountering the KVM issue, but the "Linux kernel 5.13 not supported" issue that has been solved in VirtualBox 6.1.24.