Exploring Network Options and Issues With Troubleshooting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
A_Pear
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: N/A

Exploring Network Options and Issues With Troubleshooting

Post by A_Pear »

Hello!

New to the community here and figured I would make my first post.

First, I want to say that I am still a pretty new Linux user and Virtualbox user as well. This will be my 4th month of using a Linux Distribution.

Now my question and issue I am having is selecting the correct network option for me, I am taking courses in learning about ethical hacking plus checking out other Distributions such as Red Hat, Arch Linux, etc... Anyway, I heard the internal networking option is the best to go for pentesting, so I figured I would change things up from what I was using, which was the bridged adapter option. I proceeded to create a DHCP server on my Host Ubuntu machine (21.10). After doing so, I went ahead and switched all my networks to internal. I was able to have my 3 machines (Kali, OWASP, and Metasploit2) communicating with each other. I was able to ping the IPv4 addresses of each machine. However, when I decided to ping googles IP, I have no access. I then decided to play around with my other adapter options and placed the NAT option on adapter 2, but that changed my IPv4 address that I created using the DHCP server command "vboxmanage dhcpserver add --netname testlab --ip 10.10.10.1 --netmask 255.255.255.0 --lowerip 10.10.10.2 --upperip 10.10.10.12 --enable" back to what the default address is for Virtualbox 10.0.2.15 I was able to connect which is great but not what I am trying to do. Since I want to use the DHCP Server I created using Ubuntu. I then played with the other options with no success and became even more lost.

Any ideas to help me with this issue? I am still really new to this, and I feel like it's a simple fix under my nose, I just don't know where to look or start. Should I experiment with the NAT network option? Should I go back to bridge adapter and leave them as is? I am just trying to follow along with my classes and the textbooks I have.

Thanks for any help, tips, and or recommendations
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Exploring Network Options and Issues With Troubleshooting

Post by scottgus1 »

Interesting project! First take a look over Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures so you can see what the different network types do.

If you want to let internet in but keep any malware running in the test lab off the host's LAN, try the "sandbox" setup.