Having problems allocating space to the virtual machine.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Doxial

Having problems allocating space to the virtual machine.

Post by Doxial »

When creating the virtual machine it asks "How much space would you like to give the virtual machine?" If I give the machine 10gbs then once I get into the machine it says there is no space available. If I give the machine 20gbs then there is only around 8gbs available. How am I to fix this problem? I am new to making virtual machines and if you need any further information just ask.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Having problems allocating space to the virtual machine.

Post by scottgus1 »

Doxial wrote:How much space would you like to give the virtual machine?
This refers to the disk size the VM OS will see to write into.
Doxial wrote:If I give the machine 10gbs then once I get into the machine it says there is no space available. If I give the machine 20gbs then there is only around 8gbs available. How am I to fix this problem?
This depends on how much more space for data that you want. You must provide this number. I assume that the 8GB free on a 20GB drive but not enough space on a 10GB drive means you're trying to install an OS that takes more than 10GB.

If 20GB gives 8GB free space, then the OS takes up 12GB. So:

Your desired data space + 12GB OS space = final disk size you should choose.

You can use How to resize a Virtual Drive to make an existing dynamic drive bigger.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Having problems allocating space to the virtual machine.

Post by mpack »

I find that a VDI size of 32GB is good enough for most VMs that I'm only intending to play with occasionally. I use 64GB if it's a VM I will be using regularly.

I'd say that 20GB is too small for modern Windows: it doesn't leave much elbow room.

Speaking of Windows, you posted in "Linux Hosts" but give us no clue as to what the guest OS might be, and the question you asked really has nothing to do with your host OS.