Guest can not automount directories or see any on Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Jonners59
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7 32-bit Home Prem

Re: Guest can not automount directories or see any on Host

Post by Jonners59 »

This was interesting, but not surprising:

Code: Select all

$ sudo adduser administration vboxsf
[sudo] password for administration: 
The user `administration' is already a member of `vboxsf'.

$ sudo adduser vboxsf administration
adduser: The user `vboxsf' does not exist.
administration@store:~/Desktop$
The issue is a sharing one. I can now get the directories to load, as per yesterday, and I have created new mount points with user privileges, however they launch only as root, so apps can not access them.
Logs:
Debian-2022-01-08-10-24-32TAB2.log
Tab one before new mount points added
(90.57 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Debian-2022-01-08-10-37-43TAB1.log
Current Tab before new mount point added
(85.49 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
3. After new mount points added and directories given share privilages. Can access but not via apps, only file managers all owned by root
Debian-New Mount Poits added to share.log
After new mount points added and directories given share privilages. Can access but not via apps, only file managers all owned by root
(108.87 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest can not automount directories or see any on Host

Post by scottgus1 »

Debian-2022-01-08-10-24-32TAB2.log wrote:00:00:01.479875 VirtualBox VM 6.1.26_Ubuntu r145957 linux.amd64 (Sep 3 2021 06:29:58) release log
You're back to running the Ubuntu fork. Allow me to remind:
scottgus1 wrote:If you have gone back to the Ubuntu fork, then you will have to ask Ubuntu for help, as this forum does not support forked Virtualbox.
You didn't give official Virtualbox a chance, and uninstalled it without asking the forum gurus for help how to get official Virtualbox going, see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=104822&start=15#p511552. On this forum we call that 'thrashing', meaning stabbing around in the dark trying anything, without getting advice on what to do first. Thrashing makes it very difficult to provide help, since each thrash may break something else. In this case the thrashing has put your host and VM back in the original configuration it had in the OP (we hope) and with the same versions mix-up that forum guru fth0 and I pointed out here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=104822&start=15#p511442 (see bottom third) and here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=104822&start=15#p511482

BTW, thanks, fth0, for the info on the repository change commands! I didn't know that Linux users would get a mix of repositories. Sounds hairy...

Jonners59, since you've dropped back to the Ubuntu fork, you'll know where to go to get the fork working. I'll lock this topic to keep me-too-ers from muddying the situation.

If you decide to try official Virtualbox again, do feel free to start a new topic and ask about any problems you have, and please wait patiently for the answer before trying something else or reverting. I hope the Ubuntu folks can get your VM working correctly! :D