Host key not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
buckybob

Host key not working

Post by buckybob »

Hope you all are having a Merry Christmas.

I am currently trying to install Ubuntu 20.04.3 in VirtualBox on a host running the same OS and am noticing that the host key doesn't seem to be doing anything. In particular, referencing the User Manual (I am unable to post urls, but it is the first result in Google when you search "virtualbox user manual"), I am expecting this behavior:

Code: Select all

The host mouse pointer will disappear, and your mouse will drive the guest's pointer instead of your normal mouse pointer.

To release ownership of your mouse by the VM, press the Host key.
, but am instead seeing this behavior:

Code: Select all

Most importantly, the Guest Additions suppress the second "guest" mouse pointer and make your host mouse pointer work directly in the guest.
, regardless of whether the host key is activated or not. In fact, activating or deactivating the host key doesn't seem to do anything at all, at least with respect to the mouse. I haven't installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions on the machine myself as of yet, but I notice that lsmod lists "vboxguest". I should also mention that my VM is basically a fresh install, so I haven't installed any other software apart from the OS itself.

I would prefer if the virtual machine would let me capture/release the mouse via the host key instead of automatically tracking my mouse whenever it is over the virtual machine. Is there a way to do this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host key not working

Post by scottgus1 »

I think part, if not all, of what you're seeing depends on the Mouse Integration status. Mouse Integration enables the 'host mouse pointer shows in the guest and drives the guest mouse' behavior. When Mouse Integration is disabled, clicking in the guest window locks the host mouse inside the guest window using the guest OS's mouse pointer, and you must tap the Host key to release the mouse to the host.

Guest additions is typically required in the guest for Mouse Integration to work. However, some VM OS types are compatible with Virtualbox's USB Tablet pointing device, which has the ability to enable Mouse Integration in the guest without Guest Additions installed.

You can check on the Mouse Integration status using the Mouse icon and arrow colors in the Status Bar of the guest window. Enable or disable Mouse Integration using the Input menu, or right-click the Mouse icon.
buckybob

Post by buckybob »

scottgus1 wrote:I think part, if not all, of what you're seeing depends on the Mouse Integration status. Mouse Integration enables the 'host mouse pointer shows in the guest and drives the guest mouse' behavior. When Mouse Integration is disabled, clicking in the guest window locks the host mouse inside the guest window using the guest OS's mouse pointer, and you must tap the Host key to release the mouse to the host.

Guest additions is typically required in the guest for Mouse Integration to work. However, some VM OS types are compatible with Virtualbox's USB Tablet pointing device, which has the ability to enable Mouse Integration in the guest without Guest Additions installed.

You can check on the Mouse Integration status using the Mouse icon and arrow colors in the Status Bar of the guest window. Enable or disable Mouse Integration using the Input menu, or right-click the Mouse icon.
Wow, I feel a bit silly now. You were right, unchecking that option makes my VM work as expected. Thank you so much!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Don't feel silly, you learned something new today! 8)

Glad you're up and running1