How to create OpenGL emulation on VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
satimis

How to create OpenGL emulation on VM

Post by satimis »

Hi all,

Host - Ubuntu 20.04
VM - Ubuntu 20.04

I'm prepared testing ShortCut on VM. It needs OpenGL emulation.

Can I create it on VM. If YES, pls advise HOW.

Thanks

Regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to create OpenGL emulation on VM

Post by mpack »

It depends what you mean by "OpenGL emulation".

If you mean that your software requires OpenGL then VirtualBox provides OpenGL hardware accelerated 2.1. But it isn't an emulation. I'm not even sure what an emulated API would consist of.

If you mean that you want a software rendered OpenGL then yes you can do that, but it has nothing to do with VirtualBox. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/104 ... s/25490186.
satimis

Post by satimis »

mpack wrote:It depends what you mean by "OpenGL emulation".
- snip -
I'm going testing ShortCut on Ubuntu 20.04 VM

I posted on ShortCut forum asking whether I can test ShortCut installed and running on VM?

Their reply "Shotcut should work in a VM provided the VM offers OpenGL emulation". I think they referred to hardware acceleration.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please see this for a 3rd-party OpenGL3 software renderer that someone tested in a Windows Virtualbox VM:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101304&p=491848#p491844

Maybe there's a Linux solution somewhere.

Note that we don't know how to fix any problems you may have with this idea.
satimis

Post by satimis »

Hi all,

Lot of thanks for your advice and time spent to help me.

I have sorted out my problem.

Just bought a Crucial MX500 SSD, 500G storage and 6GB/s speed. I'll start my adventure soon. I have long SATA connector and power extension cable. I'll connect the Crucial MX500 SSD outside the computer. If this arrangement works, I'll carry all future tests on bare-metal SSD, not on VM/Guest. The price of SSD is not expensive. My only problem is needing to install OS on each SSD. It is not so convenient compared to cloning a VM/Guest.

USB-C stick is fast and its price is not cheap for the time being. My problem is none all my desktop computers having USB-C port.

I have 3 desktop computers. Now it is time for me to build a new AMD Ryzen 7 desktop computer, if having spare time. My AMD Ryzen 5 desktop computer is already 4 years old. I'm now fully focused in enhancing the quality of my old video clips.

Regards