remove virtual box?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
hajonnes

remove virtual box?

Post by hajonnes »

On manjaro, kde-plasma up to date.

Hi,
I installed virtual box from the AUR repository, that means I built from source.
After the install I removed it using the package manager.
I still have a lot of files from virtual box still in my file system and wonder if:
Did I find all files:
I used 'find / -iname 'vbox*' 2>/dev/null' , i.e. all files or directories that start with 'vbox'.
Here is the return of the command: https://termbin.com/4vwz
Is there other files or places that I can have missed?
To remove the rest of the virtual box install do I just go in and remove the direcories and files I find using the above find command? Do I have to change some settings in some files? Should I look for files with other names or is there a some method I should use?

I did run a shell script to install guest additions for linux but that ended up with files for ubunut as modules for my kernel and so they did not work. It seems that the version of guest additions.iso I built was actually for ubuntu.
I was speculating that perhaps the install using the shell script did make it so my package manager did not find all files to remove.

Edit:
Is there a list of all the files that gets installed when installing the guest additions with the shell script?
WFV
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ArchLinux; Fedora; Ubuntu; Win7pro64; WinXP

Re: remove virtual box?

Post by WFV »

Probably no response here because you installed a 3rd party VirtualBox (Ubuntu). May want to try the Ubuntu and Manjaro forums? Being you installed it from the AUR it is expected that you know what you are installing.
That you built from source is vague, did you use an AUR helper? or did you git clone (wget, etc) the AUR source link and build from there? Possibly your AUR source has list of files - there's probably faster means to glean that info in Linux but I'm nowhere near that level. Otherwise, delete the files and folders of the list you got, its a good start if it doesn't get everything. For the last question, do a dry run of that GA script to a text file.