VirtualBox doesn't even see a VHD file

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jamesp

VirtualBox doesn't even see a VHD file

Post by jamesp »

Host system: Linux Ubuntu 18

Guest system trying to set up: Windows 7

Created a new Guest system and told it I was using an existing virtual hard disk file. I go into the Hard Disk Selector and select

Code: Select all

Add
. I then go to the folder where the file is and no file is shown. I know the file is there (it is 250GB in size and that it can be accesses with the

guestmount
command and I then can see and open files in the vhd file.Even the Tools

Add
does not see the file.

Note, my internal disk drive does not have sufficient space to store the vhd file, so I tried different ways:
I put it on a USB drive and set up USB in the VB guest configuration and I can see the folder but no file in it.
I put the file on a mounted USB disk and made a symbolic link to it on my home disk.

If I can't see the disk in Virtualbox, I can't use it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox doesn't even see a VHD file

Post by mpack »

Not a "Using VirtualBox" question. Topic moved to "Linux Hosts".

Make sure the filter in the file selection dialog box allows the VHD extension.

Also, you need to distinguish between host and guest devices: if you put the host VHD file on a host USB drive then you do NOT then assign ownership of that USB drive to a VM. At least not unless you want all participants to get very confused.
jamesp

Post by jamesp »

mpack wrote:Not a "Using VirtualBox" question. Topic moved to "Linux Hosts".

Make sure the filter in the file selection dialog box allows the VHD extension.

Also, you need to distinguish between host and guest devices: if you put the host VHD file on a host USB drive then you do NOT then assign ownership of that USB drive to a VM. At least not unless you want all participants to get very confused.
I used the default settings for the file name and so VB saw all files but the one I wanted. I shut my system down yesterday and when I booted the host linux system and then ran VB, it saw the vhd file on the USB drive. So now I am trying to get it to boot.
jamesp

Post by jamesp »

Once VB saw the file, it worked just fine so my only question is why is it that I had a file on two different USB hard disk and VB couldn't see either of them even when restating VB but saw them both when I rebooted Linux?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Interesting glitch! It probably was a glitch, either in the host OS or Virtualbox's interaction with the host OS.

There is no Virtualbox setting to cause this. Unless you can pin down a repeatable and reproducible method for making it happen on someone else's computer, it'll have to be chalked up to cosmic rays or borrowers, especially since a reboot fixed it.