After Host rebuild Guest OS fails to open

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Jonners59
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7 32-bit Home Prem

After Host rebuild Guest OS fails to open

Post by Jonners59 »

I have been have a bit of a mare these past 3 days. My host, xUbuntu started playing up and needed an upgrade that resulted in a rebuild. Now on 21.10 5.13.0-21-generic (64bit)

I am running Version 6.1.26_Ubuntu r145957 of VirtualBox

The Guest is Debian 9 specifically for running 3CX IP-PBX.

I have two sepetrate partitions, one for VIRTUALBOX and the other for .VIRTUALBOX and they both auto mount in Home/"user"/ That has been the setup for the past 8 years and has worked flawlessly, even if I have had to rebuild the machine.

The error message I am getting is
Failed to open virtual machine located in /home/administration/VirtualBox/3cxServer/Debian/Debian.vbox.

Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {5cc89e6a-7588-4d58-8000-169b8d225531}.

Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
I had to move "HOME" when rebuilding to allow for an EFI partition. Could that be the cause, as it says partition number (UUID) has changed? And if so how do I fix this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: After Host rebuild Guest OS fails to open

Post by scottgus1 »

Jonners59 wrote:as it says partition number (UUID) has changed?
Actually it says the hard disk file with the UUID shown cannot be found:
Jonners59 wrote:Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {5cc89e6a-7588-4d58-8000-169b8d225531}.

Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND
Virtualbox keeps its own file records independent of the host OS partition tables etc, in Virtualbox.xml and the VM's .vbox files. If you move a VM's disk file using the host's OS file manager, Virtualbox will not know about the move and still expect the file to be in the old place.

You'll have to open the VM's .vbox file in a text editor and find that hard disk file with the UUID shown, then see where Virtualbox is looking for the file. If you see only the disk file's name and no path, then the file should go:
  • in the VM folder with the VM's .vbox file, if the disk file name is a text name, probably named after the VM name.
  • in the VM's Snapshots folder, if the name of the disk file is the UUID.
Either put it back where Virtualbox wants it, or -carefully- edit the .vbox file to put the new absolute path to the file in the XML. You have to be sure no Virtualbox process are running before editing the .vbox file, or your changes will be overwritten. Look at other VMs that have disk files stored outside the VM's folder to see how an absolute path to a disk file looks.
Jonners59

Post by Jonners59 »

Thank you.

OK couldn't wait... :-D I tried what you said or at least what I think you said. I found 1 UUID that I could change and the error disappeared, but a new one appeared and I tried the same but it was to do with an attached device, so that set up another error. I then created a temp image and looked for the differences in that around attached devices and after saving the file copied and pasted the contents across from the temp to the old. That started to work. I started to get the saved state opening and then it failed. The new error message:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Debian.

ahci#0: Config mismatch: cPortsImpl - saved=1 config=2 [ver=9 pass=final] (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Am I making things worse?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Jonners59 wrote:I found 1 UUID that I could change
Does this mean you changed the number of the UUID, or did you change the disk path to the file?

Since each change brings up another error, it is possible that this VM is damaged heavily. Your best bet is to go to your backups of the host pre-HOME-change, get a fresh copy of the VM, and register the copy with Virtualbox, after deleting the VM in Virtualbox now.
Jonners59

Post by Jonners59 »

Yes. OK, so I Removed and deleted the image. I do have other copies of it if needed.

So found a copy of Debian that I had made and imported it. Sadly it does not have the phone system in it, so I'll have to do that which is a pig and I assume all the FW and port forwarding has been lost too, BUT before I can even contemplate all that I have no network. I noted when booting it said trying to start network manager and failed. One of the issues that kicked this off was no network. The network is set to Bridged (as it always was) and I have tried Advanced -> Promiscuous Mode, which was always set to Deny, but tried Allow VMs and Allow All. Makes no difference.
Jonners59

Post by Jonners59 »

It just gets worse. Tried to set up a new image.. seemed OK but without the OS did little. Obviously. Tried to upgrade VB and Extensions, but that seems to have made things worse. Now not starting any guests.
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Debian 3CX.

Failed to load R0 module /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxEhciR0.r0: RTLdrGetBits failed (VERR_SYMBOL_VALUE_TOO_BIG).

Failed to load ring-0 module 'VBoxEhciR0.r0' for device 'usb-ehci' (VERR_SYMBOL_VALUE_TOO_BIG).

Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Tried updating VB and Extension..
RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

may correct this. Make sure that you are not mixing builds of VirtualBox from different sources.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
and
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Debian 3CX.

The virtual machine 'Debian 3CX' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

tried

Code: Select all

/sbin/vboxconfig
and
sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
which completed without loads of authorisations popping up, but still the same error message.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3rd update:
I am going to override the xUbuntu installation and install Ubuntu and then after setting up networking and shares , switch to xUbuntu or FXCE. There are just too many issues with this build. I'll then install vBox again and try and reload the vMs again...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Jonners59 wrote:There are just too many issues with this build. I'll then install vBox again and try and reload the vMs again...
This sounds like a good idea. What you're experiencing is the results of what we call "thrashing": trying everything under the sun to see what happens. Often it breaks things far worse than walking patiently through the problem and ask about each step.

FWIW the Extension Pack error was from the fact that the EP version must always match the Virtualbox version, and you probably did not match EP with VB when you upgraded VB.

Kernel modules not matching and the exit code 1 error mean you have the pre-installed fork of Virtualbox present on the Linux host, and this pre-installed fork was not removed before Virtualbox was installed. Some of the fork remains and mis-matches the new Virtualbox.

Upgrading VB also may require reloading the prerequisites, especially the Linux kernel headers.
Jonners59

Post by Jonners59 »

OK, rebuild completed.
So no change really. The VMs open, sure, but still at first base. They, the GUESTs have no network connection. The connecting just says "connecting", but never does.
Also, can not get access to a USB drive. I have an image of Debian/3CX and want to "burn" it to the 2nd machine, the one I created as a temp....
Also, the Host does not file share with anyone on the LAN which was the whole point of the machine. I always hate how Ubuntu machines are such a problem sharing. Takes for ever to get it working, but hey ho... :-(

So all in all, not great. I only have a couple of hours tomorrow to sort this before we have a guest arriving for a week and I'll probably not get access to the machine to play.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Does the host have internet access?

Also, please zip and post the VM's .vbox file: Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
Jonners59

Post by Jonners59 »

Yes, the host has full access to the LAN and internet.

1. This was, if I recall correctly the GUEST that was running 3CX on a Windows Guest, before they created the Debian version and was used for years.
3cxServer.zip
original build for windows OS
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
2. This is the version that ran 3CX on Debian and worked fine for about 4 years before the recent troubles and resultant upgrade.
Debian.zip
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
3. This is an empty Guest ready to take a new Debian/3CX build set up as a test and last option, but couldn't progress because there are no recognised attached devices to load the USB stick and no network.
Debian 3CX.zip
Empty Guest awaiting OS, done as test, but can not add OS as no attached devices possible and no network
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
4. There is one more I shall try to add but max is 3 attachments. I think it is a copy of 2 above.

Hope this helps, and thank you in advance.
Jonners59

Post by Jonners59 »

4. Lost track of this but suspect it's a copy of the original Guest running Debian and with 3CX installed. Worked pre Host upgrade and issues and is probably just a copy of 2 above.
Debian (copy 1).zip
Lost track of this but suspect it's a copy of the original Guest running Debian and with 3CX installed. Worked pre Host upgrade and issues.
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Network settings for the .vbox files posted (not including the old Windows VM, which is not being used, as I understand):

Debian.vbox
<BridgedInterface name="enp2s0"/>

Debian 3CX.vbox
<NAT/>

Debian (copy 1).vbox
<BridgedInterface name="enp2s0"/>

Since Bridged is being used by the Debian.vbox, which if I understand correctly is the VM that you're trying to use now, please run this command in the host terminal:

vboxmanage list bridgedifs

Debian 3CX.vbox is set to NAT, which ought to work out of the box under any situation. Are you able to successfully ping 8.8.8.8 in either Debian 3CX.vbox or Debian.vbox?
Jonners59

Post by Jonners59 »

Hiya, ScottGus1
Overlap in time, sorry. Thank you for that, but I think I have it sorted, certainly for the Debian and possibly the Debian 3CX...

When I looked closer I noted that the MAC addresses had changed for the Guests. As it runs a IP-PBX fixed IP addresses are required so that's what I run on my LAN. So checking the router I corrected the MAC addresses on the two GUESTS (can't for 1) and the network came up, as did the access to the CD/DVD player and USB drives (only god knows why that should be).

I am about to lose access to my system for a week, though hope to be able to sneak into the said room from time to time (we have a guest arriving and the PC is stored in a small annexe room of the bedroom the lady will be staying in. Not right to be popping in)... So quickly trying to work out what's not working from a VM perspective, and so far only that the shared directories do not seem to be mounted or the files that should appear do not.

Other than that the only other thing, which may have nothing to do with it being VM is that the 3CX is not registering for a new license, blocked maybe - needs a specific TCP connection and I need to update the Guest OS to the latest Debian 10 and then the IP-PBX likewise. So doubt if these have anything to do with VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.
Jonners59 wrote:the PC is stored in a small annexe room of the bedroom the lady will be staying in.
Time to install VNC!