VirtualBox Manager locks up Linux on startup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
TomInGB

VirtualBox Manager locks up Linux on startup

Post by TomInGB »

Having a strange issue, and I'm not sure how to even capture any data as to what's causing it.

Running Ubuntu 18.04 with VirtualBox 6.1.28. I have been using virtualbox for years with no issues.

When I start the manager, it runs for a second or two, then the whole machine locks up. I can't even use the sysrq key to force a reboot. I have to shut the system down by holding the power button down. VBoxSVC.log is empty. This happens before I even attempt to start a VM.

Looking in the syslog, it appears this is where the problem started:

Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop systemd[1796]: Stopping D-Bus User Message Bus...
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop gnome-shell[2494]: [AppIndicatorSupport-DEBUG] Lost nameorg.kde.StatusNotifierWatcher
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop gnome-session[2009]: gnome-session-binary[2009]: WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop gnome-session[2009]: gnome-session-binary[2009]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop gnome-session-binary[2009]: WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop gnome-session-binary[2009]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop gvfsd[2630]: A connection to the bus can't be made
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop gnome-shell[2494]: Object .Gjs_AppIndicatorIconActor__1 (0x56374e3d8880), has been already finalized. Impossible to set any property to it.
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop org.gnome.Shell.desktop[2494]: == Stack trace for context 0x56374bf2f320 ==
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop systemd[1796]: xdg-permission-store.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 18 15:06:29 tom-desktop systemd[1796]: xdg-permission-store.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Any hints what to do next?
TomInGB

Re: VirtualBox Manager locks up Linux on startup

Post by TomInGB »

In trying to further diagnose this, I have caused several more crashes, and none of them contain the syslog content I posted above. The syslog appears to just stop with no error message at all. The next line is the start of the next boot.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

You could check if the installed VirtualBox kernel modules match the VirtualBox version with a command like

Code: Select all

for f in $(find /lib/modules -name "vbox*"); do echo $f && modinfo $f | grep "^version"; done
TomInGB

Post by TomInGB »

fth0 wrote:You could check if the installed VirtualBox kernel modules match the VirtualBox version with a command like

Code: Select all

for f in $(find /lib/modules -name "vbox*"); do echo $f && modinfo $f | grep "^version"; done

Thanks! Here's the resulting output.

/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/misc/vboxdrv.ko
version: 6.1.28 r147628 (0x00320000)
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/misc/vboxnetadp.ko
version: 6.1.28 r147628 ((0xA2CDe001U))
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/misc/vboxnetflt.ko
version: 6.1.28 r147628 ((0xA2CDe001U))
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo
modinfo: ERROR: Module /lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo not found.
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox
modinfo: ERROR: Module /lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox not found.
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxguest
modinfo: ERROR: Module /lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxguest not found.
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxguest/vboxguest.ko
version: 5.2.8_KernelUbuntu r120774
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxsf
modinfo: ERROR: Module /lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxsf not found.
/lib/modules/4.15.0-162-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxsf/vboxsf.ko
/lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo
modinfo: ERROR: Module /lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo not found.
/lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko
/lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox
modinfo: ERROR: Module /lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox not found.
/lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxguest
modinfo: ERROR: Module /lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxguest not found.
/lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxguest/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxsf
modinfo: ERROR: Module /lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxsf not found.
/lib/modules/4.15.0-161-generic/kernel/ubuntu/vbox/vboxsf/vboxsf.ko
TomInGB

Post by TomInGB »

So if I'm reading that correctly, there are mismatches. How do I fix that?
TomInGB

Post by TomInGB »

I had a bit of a breakthrough in figuring out where the problem is. Turn out if I rename the .vbox file for one of the VMs, the problem goes away.

I still have no idea how to figure out what about that particular VM is causing it.

Naturally, it's the only really important VM that's causing the problem.
TomInGB

Post by TomInGB »

I tried the instructions here: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/12/h ... ories.html

And got to the point of the VM manager starting up successfully, but once I started the VM it locked up again and now I'm back to having the machine lock up when I start the the VM manager.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The VirtualBox kernel modules for the host OS (vboxdrv.ko, vboxnetadp.ko, vboxnetflt.ko) match the VirtualBox version 6.1.28, so no issue here. The other VirtualBox kernel modules (vboxguest.ko, vboxsf.ko) are provided by Ubuntu and are meant for the case that this Linux installation itself is inside a VirtualBox VM. If you'd install this Linux version inside a VM, you'd have to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions to replace them.

Next, I'd suggest to look at the (user-specific) global configuration and log files in /home/<username>/.config/VirtualBox, and the VBox.log file. If you want us to also take a look, post them in a zip file.
TomInGB

Post by TomInGB »

fth0 wrote:The VirtualBox kernel modules for the host OS (vboxdrv.ko, vboxnetadp.ko, vboxnetflt.ko) match the VirtualBox version 6.1.28, so no issue here. The other VirtualBox kernel modules (vboxguest.ko, vboxsf.ko) are provided by Ubuntu and are meant for the case that this Linux installation itself is inside a VirtualBox VM. If you'd install this Linux version inside a VM, you'd have to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions to replace them.

Next, I'd suggest to look at the (user-specific) global configuration and log files in /home/<username>/.config/VirtualBox, and the VBox.log file. If you want us to also take a look, post them in a zip file.
Files from .config/VirtualBox directory (minus the guest additions iso)
forum-user-files.zip
(159.62 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Log files from the VM causing the problem. Most are empty because the whole machine locks up before the VM can even be started.
forum-windows-vm-log files.zip
(2.27 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

In the provided files, I've noticed the following issues:

The VirtualBox Extension Pack, which provides the USB 2.0 / 3.0 functionality, is not installed, but the VM is configured to provide a USB 2.0 / 3.0 controller to the guest OS. Either install the VirtualBox Extension Pack, or remove the USB controller from the VM.

Your Linux user is not a member of the vboxusers group. In consequence, you effectively cannot provide USB devices to any VM.

The /home/tom/VirtualBox VMs/Windows/Windows machine/Windows machine.vbox file is either empty or non-existent. Remove the VM from the VirtualBox Manager (without deleting the disk contents), ensure that no VirtualBox component is running on the host (e.g. reboot the host), replace the .vbox file with the .vbox-prev file (if its size is greater 0), and re-add the VM to the VirtualBox Manager.

The Host-only network vboxnet0 is configured with the IP address 10.9.66.10 and the netmask 255.255.255.0, but the DHCP server is still configured to serve the default 192.168.56.0/24 network. I'd suggest to remove and re-create the network, just in case.
TomInGB

Post by TomInGB »

Comments on each section of your advice:
The VirtualBox Extension Pack, which provides the USB 2.0 / 3.0 functionality, is not installed, but the VM is configured to provide a USB 2.0 / 3.0 controller to the guest OS. Either install the VirtualBox Extension Pack, or remove the USB controller from the VM.
It was already installed, but i reinstalled just to be sure. The VirtualBox manager did confirm that it was re-installing.
Your Linux user is not a member of the vboxusers group. In consequence, you effectively cannot provide USB devices to any VM.
I added myself to that group and rebooted.
The Host-only network vboxnet0 is configured with the IP address 10.9.66.10 and the netmask 255.255.255.0, but the DHCP server is still configured to serve the default 192.168.56.0/24 network. I'd suggest to remove and re-create the network, just in case.
This should have mattered since DHCP was inactive on that network, but as you say, just in case, I activated DHCP, set it up to match, saved, then deactivated it again and saved.
The /home/tom/VirtualBox VMs/Windows/Windows machine/Windows machine.vbox file is either empty or non-existent. Remove the VM from the VirtualBox Manager (without deleting the disk contents), ensure that no VirtualBox component is running on the host (e.g. reboot the host), replace the .vbox file with the .vbox-prev file (if its size is greater 0), and re-add the VM to the VirtualBox Manager.
Trying this now...
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

TomInGB wrote:It was already installed
According to the VBox.log.3 file, it (the EP, not the GA) was not installed around 2021-11-19T02:38:51.519905000Z. Does that fit?
TomInGB

Post by TomInGB »

fth0 wrote:According to the VBox.log.3 file, it (the EP, not the GA) was not installed around 2021-11-19T02:38:51.519905000Z. Does that fit?
Yes, if fits exactly. I think in trying to clean up and reinstall VB, I probably wiped out the EP at some point, but then realized it was missing and installed it.

By the way, i can't thank you enough for taking the time to work through this with me!
TomInGB

Post by TomInGB »

As soon as I added the VM, the whole computer locked up again.

I should mention that Virtualbox works perfectly until I add that VM. All the other VMs operate as expected.

Here are all the versions of that vbox file that i have:
Various versions of vbox file.zip
(18.75 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The differences between your .vbox files are not relevant from my POV, but I noticed several commonalities that could be candidates for some tests:

First of all, I think that all virtual disk images attached to a VM must already be available when the VirtualBox Manager is started: Was /mnt/backup_3tb/Windows Machine VM backup/backupdrive.vmdk mounted all the time?

If the backup image wasn't the cause of your issues, ensure that no VirtualBox component is running on the host (e.g. reboot the host), and make the following changes to the .vbox file: Remove all lines containing ExtraDataItem, DeviceFilter and GuestProperty. Edit the line containing VideoCapture so that screens="1". If this solves the problem, repeat this test with only some of those changes, to identify the cause. Don't forget to ensure ... before each change, otherwise you'll be fighting against the background process VBoxSVC. ;)