VirtualBox Manager locks up Linux on startup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
TomInGB

Re: VirtualBox Manager locks up Linux on startup

Post by TomInGB »

fth0 wrote:The differences between your .vbox files are not relevant from my POV, but I noticed several commonalities that could be candidates for some tests:

First of all, I think that all virtual disk images attached to a VM must already be available when the VirtualBox Manager is started: Was /mnt/backup_3tb/Windows Machine VM backup/backupdrive.vmdk mounted all the time?

If the backup image wasn't the cause of your issues, ensure that no VirtualBox component is running on the host (e.g. reboot the host), and make the following changes to the .vbox file: Remove all lines containing ExtraDataItem, DeviceFilter and GuestProperty. Edit the line containing VideoCapture so that screens="1". If this solves the problem, repeat this test with only some of those changes, to identify the cause. Don't forget to ensure ... before each change, otherwise you'll be fighting against the background process VBoxSVC. ;)
Hmm, it is the only VM with two monitors, so maybe I'll start with that.
TomInGB

Re: VirtualBox Manager locks up Linux on startup

Post by TomInGB »

I think we may have isolated the problem!

After doing everything you suggested, I was looking around and noticed that the main vmdk file had been updated today, but the "backup" vmdk had not been updated since 11/7. I deleted the references to it from the vbox file and BANG! everything works!

I guess that VMDK is corrupt maybe? Will try going back to the original vbox file and leaving everything else intact with only the backup drive removed.