Bridged Network not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MatthK

Bridged Network not working

Post by MatthK »

I'm a bit stumped and was hoping somebody could help me.

I have just bought a new Intel NUC (host) and installed Ubuntu Server 20.04.3 LTS on it. That worked quite well and it the machine is running. I then install Virtualbox on it and tried to migrate an existing guest virtual machine from a Windows PC to the new Ubuntu server. Copying the files and profile was done, and I can boot the guest OS on the new host. But the bridged network refuses to work on the guest OS. I can get NAT to work, but then I can't access the guest OS directly, which is not really an option.

After trying around in the guest OS (also Ubuntu Server 20.04.3) with no success, I thought I just create a new VM and see if it is working there. When I try to install a brand new Ubuntu Server 20.04.3 as a new guest VM on the host, I get till the Network connections page. But there it just suggest to continue without network, while when I try to get an IP address, it just keeps searching forever.

The host is a Intel NUC11BTMi9, which states the supported OS are Windows 10 only. Is the network driver the culprit and not supporting bridge mode? Is there something else I have to configure/install to get this to work?

I do have another old PC running a similar setup (host with Ubuntu 20.04) and the bridged network works in all guest VMs with no problem.

Virtualbox is Version 6.1.26_Ubuntu r145957. The host OS is fully up to date. Any hints highly appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Bridged Network not working

Post by scottgus1 »

Bridged requires that the host OS be able to use the network adapter. So you'll need to check if the host can access the network itself.

You can check if Bridged has properly plugged into the host network adapter with this command in the terminal:

vboxmanage list bridgedifs

Bridged also does not always work over Wi-Fi. Try wired Ethernet if it is possible.

One other thing, just to keep in mind in the future:
MatthK wrote:Virtualbox is Version 6.1.26_Ubuntu
This is the Ubuntu fork of Virtualbox which we don't support on these forums. Though this may not be the cause of the problem now, you may eventually need to uninstall the fork and install the official Virtualbox https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads if you run into further problems (please note the prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq).
MatthK

Re: Bridged Network not working

Post by MatthK »

I wasn't aware that there are different versions of Virtualbox. I just installed the "right" version and now have Version 6.1.28 r147628 (Qt5.12.8 ) installed.

The check you suggested came up with this:

Code: Select all

matth@vs02:~$ vboxmanage list bridgedifs
Name:            enp89s0
GUID:            38706e65-7339-4030-8000-1c697ad05e37
DHCP:            Disabled
IPAddress:       192.168.7.22
NetworkMask:     255.255.255.0
IPV6Address:     fe80::1e69:7aff:fed0:5e37
IPV6NetworkMaskPrefixLength: 64
HardwareAddress: 1c:69:7a:d0:5e:37
MediumType:      Ethernet
Wireless:        No
VBoxNetworkName: HostInterfaceNetworking-enp89s0
The DHCP is disabled, which actually shouldn't be, as the host gets its IP address from the DHCP server. And it is a wired connection, no Wifi is configured on the host.

The problem with the bridged network remain though. The guest VM doesn't get an IP address.