Gnome Desktop Vbox Display Error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
yupthatguy

Gnome Desktop Vbox Display Error

Post by yupthatguy »

I installed xrdp on both my test and prod server, as part of that I installed the gnome desktop. While I can successfully connect to xrdp on both my prod server and test server (vbox) via Remmina... the vbox test server shows the error below when I connect via Remmina:
Selection_618.png
Selection_618.png (21.86 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
And on my physcial machine at boot time, the gnome display manager successfully starts, but the I am never able to reach the gnome login screen.

How can I repair this error?

thx
yupthatguy

Re: Gnome Desktop Vbox Display Error

Post by yupthatguy »

Oddly enough, I installed the correct version of Guest Additions that matches my versions of Virtualbox 6.1.28, but the problem isn't fixed. Now the error I when I connect to the vm via remmina is:

Failed to register resizing support, rc=VERR_INVALID_FUNCTION

I've tried adjusting the display settings, but if I choose any display other than VMSVGA all i get an "Invalid Settings Detectedt" message
Attachments
VBox.zip
(37.56 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Gnome Desktop Vbox Display Error

Post by mpack »

You are using genuine VirtualBox on the host, but have antique Ubuntu fork GAs inside the guest. Forks are not supported on this site. Being old probably isn't helping either.
00:00:49.734988 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.1.6 r137129 '6.1.6_Ubuntu'