Bridged Adapter Only Works On Hme Wifi Network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
yupthatguy

Bridged Adapter Only Works On Hme Wifi Network

Post by yupthatguy »

Hi there.

My debian 10.5 vBox server (guest) on my ubuntu 20.04 os (host) will not connect to the internet if I am not on my home wifi network. (vBox 6.1)

If I am on any network other than my home network, I can't ping the server from the host to the server. The ping command just hangs with no output or error message.

Everything boots, correctly, no service failures at boot... (meaning, no error messages to help me troubleshoot.)

I tried switching to a nat network and configuring port forwarding. I was able to ssh into the box, but couldn't ping from host to the guest and had no outside internet connection inside the box.

My bridged adapter set-up works perfectly at home.... how can I make it work on other networks that I may connect to?

What am I missing?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Bridged Adapter Only Works On Hme Wifi Network

Post by scottgus1 »

The Wi-Fi access point's firmware can interfere with Bridged connections, see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter. The adapter that is being Bridged to must also be connected to something.

One possible workaround for location-based failed Bridged is to set a valid static IP address in the VM, using the same IP range and mask as the VM would have gotten if Bridged could get through. If you try this and it works, please post back, as I have not been in a situation where I could try it myself.

Also, there is no port for Ping, so you can't Ping through a NAT router, which is what NAT & NAT Network are to the connected VMs, These are also discussed in the linked tutorial.
yupthatguy wrote:I tried switching to a nat network ... no outside internet connection inside the box.
It is possible to break NAT Network's internet access by changing the IP range of the network after having used it. Try just plain NAT, and be sure the VM OS is set to get its IP address rom DHCP when trying NAT.
yupthatguy

Re: Bridged Adapter Only Works On Hme Wifi Network

Post by yupthatguy »

One possible workaround for location-based failed Bridged is to set a valid static IP address in the VM, using the same IP range and mask as the VM would have gotten if Bridged could get through. If you try this and it works, please post back, as I have not been in a situation where I could try it myself.
I have exactly this setup and can't get an outside internet for the vm in any location other than my home

debian 10.5

Code: Select all

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto enp0s8
iface enp0s8 inet static
        address 192.168.0.84
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1
I also tried NAT and host-only adapter, the vm will not connect to the outside web.