Win10 VM on Xubuntu 21.10 never comes up

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mrzenwiz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows, CentOS

Win10 VM on Xubuntu 21.10 never comes up

Post by mrzenwiz »

With my newest M/B-CPU-RAM-Video combo on Xubuntu 21.10, running VB 6.1.28, my Windows 10 VM never finishes coming up.

It start to come up, plays the chimes and displays the four-box windows flag, then the screen goes screwy (I'll post an image soon, but this one gets the log) and after 9 minutes it still stays frozen.

I was able to halt the VM with Machine->ACPI Shutdown.

The log file zip is attached here. I looked through it, but I'm not expert. It looks like it does a lot of config dumping, then there's a 7 minutes gape before it does anything else, then another 7 minutes before I shut it down.

What is stopping it from coming up, or I should say finishing coming up and presenting the Windows GUI shell?
Attachments
VBWin10Log.zip
Zipped VM log file
(35 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mrzenwiz

Re: Win10 VM on Xubuntu 21.10 never comes up

Post by mrzenwiz »

Screenshot attached here FYI.
Attachments
Screenshot right before shutdown
Screenshot right before shutdown
Win10VM-AfterBoot-NeverGoesFurtherL1102.png (32.76 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't see anything egregiously wrong in the log. 3D acceleration is enabled, with the usual log messages.

6.1.28 host Virtualbox, 6.1.22 Guest Additions: I'd match the GAs version with the Virtualbox version when 3D is enabled. But thus might not be necessary.

Only one processor is in the VM, and 10 adores 2 processors. The host has 16, so notch that slider up one.

If you get better graphics but the menus etc are transparent, disable Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects in your Windows 10 VM. If the 10 VM is not activated, try one of these:
  • Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize
    REG_DWORD
    EnableTransparency = 0
See what that does, and post another log and screenshot if you don't get good graphics.
mrzenwiz

Post by mrzenwiz »

With 2 CPUs allocated to the VM, I was able to get the machine to boot up - horrendously slow, but it came up.

I reinstalled the Guest Additions and rebooted.

This time the screen never showed up, again.

I shut it down with ACPI and changed the CPUs to 4, but this time I disabled the 3D acceleration on the video.

Now it seems to work properly.

In fact, before when ti came up, it refused to adapt the screen size to full HD, sticking with the 4x3 aspect ratio. Without the 3D acceleration, it resized properly and shows full screen once again. This may be related to the crappy video card I have - it doesn't give me the full 2k my monitor takes. I have another on order, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Many thanks - it's now fully functional.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Nice! Glad you're up and running.