VirtualBox clipboard not working, seamless screen and scaled screen grayed out [Solved]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tillyCoyote

VirtualBox clipboard not working, seamless screen and scaled screen grayed out [Solved]

Post by tillyCoyote »

Hello dear "to whom may read it" :D

I am having issues with bidirectional clipboard, seamless screen (grayed out), scaled screen (grayed out).

Here are the details of my setup:

Host OS : Ubuntu 20.04
Guest OS : Windows 10
Virtual machine : 6.1.28 r147628
Extension package : 6.1.28 r147628
Guest addition : 6.1.28 r147628
Bidirectional clipboard is checked in the settings
Share folder works fine for me.

Since I had issue with my display (an unpleasant resolution), I force my display settup to:
Video memory : 128 M
Monitor count : 1
Scale factor : 100%
Graphics controller : VBoxVGA
Acceleration : 3D option disabled

I did do some research on my own. I followed some posts in this forum and tried to check any anomalies in my log file. But still, I cannot fix these issues.

I also joined the log file in the attachment. Any advice will be appreciated.
Attachments
Win10-2021-11-01-20-13-16.zip
(33.38 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by tillyCoyote on 4. Nov 2021, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox bidirectional clipboard not working, sseamless screen and scaled screen grayed out

Post by scottgus1 »

The log posts the shared clipboard service being available on the host in bidirectional mode. But the reports of the shared clipboard service being available inside the VM after the Guest Additions start that should be there are not present.

How to fix this one, I don't know. Could try installing 6.1.26 GAs in the VM. https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... 6.1.26.iso

Then try a new topic about the screen problem. There's tricks...
tillyCoyote

Re: VirtualBox bidirectional clipboard not working, sseamless screen and scaled screen grayed out

Post by tillyCoyote »

scottgus1 wrote: Could try installing 6.1.26 GAs in the VM. https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... 6.1.26.iso
Hello scottgus1,

Thank you for your advice.
The most annoying thing is my clipboard issue. We can forget about the screen issue. But... Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V is my life! :D

To re-install GA 6.1.26, I did :
- uninstall GA 6.1.28 first
- reboot the VM
- shut down VM and mount the GA 6.1.26.iso
- turn on VM and install GA 6.1.26
- reboot VM and shut down VM
- save log

After install GA 6.1.26, the clipboard doesn't work either.
Here is the new log file.
Attachments
Win10-2021-11-03-09-56-40.zip
(35.87 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows the 6.1.26 GAs installed, but it's still the same situation as before: the shared clipboard service is available on the host in bidirectional mode. But the reports of the shared clipboard service being available inside the VM after the Guest Additions start that should be there are not present.

"tis a puzzle for me, I'm not certain how to proceed.

Can you please check the Windows 10 Services to see if the Virtualbox Guest Additions are started and that the Task Manager shows Virtualbox processes running?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:But the reports of the shared clipboard service being available inside the VM after the Guest Additions start that should be there are not present.
AFAICS, the missing log messages are written by VBoxTray.exe, which usually is started by a Windows Autostart setting in the registry:

Code: Select all

[VBoxTray_Add_Reg]
HKLM, SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, VBoxTray, 0x00020000, %%SystemRoot%%\system32\VBoxTray.exe
Check if VBoxTray.exe is running, and if not, why not.
tillyCoyote

Post by tillyCoyote »

scottgus1 wrote:Can you please check the Windows 10 Services to see if the Virtualbox Guest Additions are started and that the Task Manager shows Virtualbox processes running?
fth0 wrote:Check if VBoxTray.exe is running, and if not, why not.
Hello scottgus1 and fth0,

You guys are awesome!!! The virtualbox guest addition / VBoxTray.exe is not started !!!!
I am the one to blame... I deactivate it accidentally...

Thank you a million times for your time on a such mistake .
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Re: VirtualBox clipboard not working, seamless screen and scaled screen grayed out [Solved]

Post by scottgus1 »

Nice! Glad you're up and running.