How to disable the hardware acceleration?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
isanythingnotbrokenyet

How to disable the hardware acceleration?

Post by isanythingnotbrokenyet »

Trying to run a 32-bit linux VM on a CentOS 8 machine with no hardware virtualization on, which I do not want to reboot now. Yes, I know it will be slower, fine.
I keep getting "The hardware virtualization is enabled in the Acceleration section of the system page although it is not supported from the host system. It should be disabled in order to start the visual system."
So I go to VM Settings > System > Acceleration
There I only see two settings "Paravirtualization interface" and "Hardware virtualization".
Even when I uncheck "Hardware virtualization" the erros still does not go away and does not allow me to click OK.

Why?

(Also, had to use an account from Bugmenot to post this question as apparently oracle does not send verification emails or gmail is incapable to receive it anymore. Yes, I checked my spam folder. Admins, can you fix that?)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to disable the hardware acceleration?

Post by scottgus1 »

Too soon for the bump. The forum is run by non-Oracle unpaid volunteers, and folks have to wait for someone to come along to help if they know how to.

Bumping once a week for a month is OK.
isanythingnotbrokenyet wrote:machine with no hardware virtualization on
Then you'd have to run 5.2.x, I think. Maybe 6.0.x. See https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds

6.0 or 6.1 removed running without host computer virtualization technology (VT-x, AMD-V, SVM).

The error message is outdated and needs re-wording.

I get Oracle Virtualbox forum emails on the same Gmail email I sign on with, no problems.