Virtualbox I/O errors

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
yupthatguy

Virtualbox I/O errors

Post by yupthatguy »

Hi my Debian VDI on an Ubunutu 20.04 has become very slow despite me maximizing my physial RAM to 20 Megs. And it shows the following I/O errors:
Selection_597.png
Selection_597.png (25.95 KiB) Viewed 17819 times
I've read that vbox mimics the health of the host drive, I have run #fsck /dev/sda from an ubuntu liveCD and found no errors with my drive.

Can you provide tips, guidance on how to correct these errors and speed up my vdi?
Thanks

My vbox log was too large to attach, so I created a pastebin for it.
https://pastebin.com/XVm40AaF
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Virtualbox I/O errors

Post by fth0 »

First, you should read in the VirtualBox User Manual what snapshots are. Afterwards, you should think about your snapshot usage and delete some/most of your 35 snapshots, if you don't really need them. Note that you must use VirtualBox to do that. If you delete any snapshot in the host's file system yourself, the whole snapshot chain will be damaged.
yupthatguy

Post by yupthatguy »

that part I figured out... I have been deleting them... so the snapshots are cause of my problems?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Maybe. 35 snapshots means 35 disk files to be open to hunt through to find the most recent disk sector to provide to the VM's OS.

If the host OS has an error while the deleting is taking place, the VM may suffer. Make a good restorable host backup copy of the VM's folder and all disk files.

You can, if deleting snapshots takes a long time, use Mpack's CloneVDI in Wine to make a clone of the final snapshot disk, which will make a new single disk file with all the data in the snapshot chain collapsed into it. Make a new VM around that disk file. See the CloneVDI instructions.
yupthatguy

Post by yupthatguy »

Ok.. So after many a beer.. I have successfully deleted almost all of my snapshots with zero problems during deletion, I am getting a a "cleaner" boot, (i.e. less failed services), but the but is still reacting, mind-numbingly slow. This machine is maxed out with like 20 mg of RAM, vbox should be flying... Last night, I tested my ubuntu drives / file systems.. and all of them are perfectly healthy.. What else can I do to get vbox moving at human acceptable speed? Honestly, it feels like the additional RAM I installed (according to specifications) has made vbox slower, not faster.
Attachments
VBox.log
(106.85 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Probably a minor error, but leaving the host OS (which is running VirtualBox too) with only one core to work with doesn't seem like the greatest possible idea to me.

The log has been truncated, or perhaps grabbed while the VM was still running. Either way it is mostly useless.

Use zip to create smaller attachments.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Shut down the VM from within the guest OS. Install the correct version of the VirtualBox Extension Pack on the host. Start the VM, observe the behavior that isn't matching your expectations, shut down the VM from within the guest OS. Post a (zipped) VBox.log file and describe the behavior.
yupthatguy

Post by yupthatguy »

Sorry for the delay, I am one of those unfortunate linux people with a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter, getting an -amazing- 19.7kb/s transfer rate in 2021 :( . In any case, I updated to the latest ext pack and have another great screenshot for you:
Selection_606.png
Selection_606.png (45.27 KiB) Viewed 17485 times
Now, it sometimes, just "quits" while still running meaning... sometimes I can't ping the server (no route to host), terminal becomes unresponsive,leaving me no choice but shutdown. via vbox. I literally can't complete any actual task.

VBox was actually working better when I have 50 snapshots :-( Any advice to get this running properly & in a stable manner, more than welcome..

Thanks
Attachments
VBox.log
(112.79 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
yupthatguy

Post by yupthatguy »

Now my vdi is stuck in a saved state and I cannot open it... all I get is this error every time I try to restore

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
SessionMachine
Interface:
ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
Attachments
VBox.log
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

00:00:00.879795 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004) aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={VM failed to start because the saved state file '/home/dragonpharaoh/Downloads/WebDev/ISPConfigVM/ISPConfig-Test/Snapshots/2021-10-27T07-30-26-202167000Z.sav' is invalid (VERR_SSM_INTEGRITY_FOOTER). Delete the saved state prior to starting the VM.}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-1821
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

In the VBox.log file posted ~6 hours ago (07:10 UTC), I can see some unexpected pauses (including one of length 02:10), but no obvious cause for them. The VirtualBox statistics are missing at the end of the VBox.log file, and would have been especially interesting in this case, because the pause(s) were a considerable percentage of the total runtime. Perhaps you didn't follow my request closely and copied the file while the VM was still running?

Additionally, please update the VirtualBox Guest Additions to match the VirtualBox version.
yupthatguy

Post by yupthatguy »

@Martin.. thanks, vdi back in use.

@fth0 this may sound very "nooby", but could you recommend a specific method by which to sync my vbox manager version and extension pack? I ask this because foolish have been using the the vbox manager's "Check for Update" function to update the extension pack, apparently incorrectly assuming that the vbox manager would download the correct extension pack automatically.

This is my latest screenshot and .log file. I had to shutdown from outside the guest as vbox ignored the shutdown command and sat there for 10 minutes doing nothing. However this is the log -after- the machine was shutdown.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(54.36 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

yupthatguy wrote:@fth0 this may sound very "nooby", but could you recommend a specific method by which to sync my vbox manager version and extension pack? I ask this because foolish have been using the the vbox manager's "Check for Update" function to update the extension pack, apparently incorrectly assuming that the vbox manager would download the correct extension pack automatically.
Are you confusing the VirtualBox Extension Pack (EP) and the VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA)? The EP is installed on the host, and you have the matching version installed. The GA are installed in the guest, and the VirtualBox User Manual tells you how to do that. The GA currently are version 6.1.20 in your VM, instead of 6.1.28.
VBox.log file wrote:
00:00:04.936552 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: AHCI 0-P#0: PCHS=16383/16/63 LCHS=1024/255/63 0x0000000007800000 sectors
[...]
00:06:29.713798 VDI: Out of range access (9693007872) in image /home/dragonpharaoh/Downloads/WebDev/ISPConfigVM/ISPConfig-Test/Snapshots/{929a649b-f3c0-4eb2-9e8f-48ebd7d983e9}.vdi, image size 9691987968
Your real problem is that the virtual disk image is corrupt. The first log message above shows that your virtual disk image was allocated with a Virtual Size of 60 GB, and the other log message shows problem accessing a location that should exist within.

I'd suggest to either go back to an earlier backup of your VM, or to create a new VM.
yupthatguy

Post by yupthatguy »

@fth0 Yup, long week.. confused GA with EP... my bad. will look into...
I'd suggest to either go back to an earlier backup of your VM, or to create a new VM.
Can I use this vm to somehow create an uncorrupted derivative? or somehow repair the disk?
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You could try CloneVDI as scottgus1 suggested, but it may also abort when it detects the corruption.