Upgrade from 6.1.26 to 6.1.28 Breaks All VMs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
davidhillman

Upgrade from 6.1.26 to 6.1.28 Breaks All VMs

Post by davidhillman »

Host: Kubuntu 20.04.03
Guests: (2) Kubuntu 20.04.03 and (1) Windows 10
VB: Version 6.1.28 r147628 (Qt5.12.8)
Package: virtualbox-6.1_6.1.28-147628~Ubuntu~eoan_amd64.deb from VirtualBox, cannot post link due to forum rules

All is well on 6.1.26. Upgrading to 6.1.28 causes all three guests to fail on startup, with the following error message.

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine | machine name |
Under "Details", the error contains:

Code: Select all

The virtual machine |machine name| has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
MachineWrap
Interface: 
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
I further attempted to export the guests from 6.1.26, and import them into 6.1.28, but that made no difference.

Additionally, newly-created VMs exhibit the same error, so to put it bluntly, 6.1.28 does not work at all on this system.

Other than simply remaining on 6.1.26, can this be corrected?

Thanks.

ps -- downgrading back to 6.1.26 restores correct functionality, so luckily, that's easy. Also proves that there's nothing amiss with the machines themselves.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Upgrade from 6.1.26 to 6.1.28 Breaks All VMs

Post by mpack »

davidhillman wrote: I further attempted to export the guests from 6.1.26, and import them into 6.1.28, but that made no difference.
Please don't do that again. That is not a recommended fix for anything. It just changes more of the variables.

Provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
FranciscoACLima

Post by FranciscoACLima »

Thanks.
I had the same problem on windows 10.
Back to version 6.1.26 solved
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

There is a problem affecting Hyper-v compatibility on Win10 hosts which is fixed by returning to 6.1.26.

Obviously Hyper-v compatibility can't be an issue on Linux hosts and I'm not aware of any other problem on Linux hosts that is fixed by returning to 6.1.26.

If you want that we should find the problem instead of speculate about it, then let's see that log.
davidhillman

Post by davidhillman »

Please don't do that again. That is not a recommended fix for anything.
Well, another thing that isn't recommended is releasing an extremely-lightly-tested revision which contains bugs large enough to break even the most basic functionality. But Oracle went ahead and did that. So until 6.1.29+ comes along with fixes for these issues, some of us are going to try anything.
If you want that we should find the problem instead of speculate about it, then let's see that log.
It turns out that testing virtualbox isn't what I get paid to do, and those vms need to be online at present. So if I can, I will, but it will have to wait until such time as I can take this entire setup offline.

There's now a a ticket to track this defect. Maybe if nothing else, this will encourage an upgrade in the pre-release test procedures for future revisions, and we'll see a fix down the line somewhere.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Web-searching around for "Linux Hosts" "exit code 1" site:forums.virtualbox.org doesn't lead to much steady info for solutions.

But this Exit Code 1 problem could be if you had the Linux fork of Virtualbox installed before, then tried to upgrade to the official Virtualbox https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads without purging the fork first and running the prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq first. Could be for other reasons, too, I'm no Linux guru....

Purge whatever Virtualbox you have now, run the prerequisites first: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq, then try the official download from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads again.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

davidhillman wrote: Well, another thing that isn't recommended is releasing an extremely-lightly-tested revision which contains bugs large enough to break even the most basic functionality.
Know your place.

You are not a client. All you are is someone who downloaded some free shit. No matter how good or bad the software is, you got your moneys worth.

But consider, what does Oracle get out of the deal? Easy: it gets extra testing of the software before it gets into hands of actual (paying) clients. So complaining that the software is inadequately tested before it reaches you is displaying a rather high degree of naivety. It would so nice if people sometimes engaged brain before mouth, and maybe even showed a little gratitude for the free software and support they get here.

Also please note that these are user discussion forums. Nobody here works for Oracle, because nobody who downloads free shit is entitled to anything from Oracle.
davidhillman

Post by davidhillman »

mpack wrote:Know your place.

You are not a client.
Stay in your lane. And I am an Oracle client, and have paid them millions of dollars.
So complaining that the software is inadequately tested before it reaches you is displaying a rather high degree of naivety.
Doesn't quite compare with you assuming that you know anything about my business just because I reported a bug.

If Oracle is going to release lightly-tested and broken software, they of course have the right to do so... but they should expect people to note that, and have it effect their brand.
Also please note that these are user discussion forums.
And the bug has been reported to Oracle -- I was asking if any of said users know of a workaround, other than simply never upgrading. And, while I'm at it, does anyone know if the dialog box that pushes users to upgrade to 6.1.28 can be silenced? Their suggestion to upgrade isn't very useful until 6.1.28 is functional.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

davidhillman wrote:while I'm at it, does anyone know if the dialog box that pushes users to upgrade to 6.1.28 can be silenced?
Yes, see the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Update tab.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

davidhillman wrote:And the bug has been reported to Oracle
Just a friendly hint: In 20632, you also didn't provide the requested information yet, so don't be surprised that nobody can investigate your problem. And so far I don't know if there are other users experiencing the same problem.
VB Rich

Post by VB Rich »

Yes, see the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Update tab.
Thank you
I will check once in awhile and try upgrading again when 6.1.30 comes out!