Webcams not listed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tyrannasaur

Webcams not listed

Post by tyrannasaur »

Host OS terminal:

Code: Select all

~$ VBoxManage list webcams
VBoxManage: error: No extension pack by the name 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' was found
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component ExtPackManagerWrap, interface IExtPackManager, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "COMGETTER(VideoInputDevices)(ComSafeArrayAsOutParam(hostVideoInputDevices))" at line 1163 of file VBoxManageList.cpp
Video Input Devices: 0
I'm trying to see why my webcam doesn't show as an option to share with the guest OS.

Host and guest OS are both Xubuntu 20.04.3. Guest OS settings: https://i.imgur.com/FrbVO4F.png

Host additions and guest extensions are both installed. I think they work, I can copy/paste between host and guest (bi-directional).

(mod edit: zipped logs fit)

Any idea what the issue is? So far i've restarted the host and guest OS, this has not fixed it.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 13. Oct 2021, 19:57, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: removed dropbox links; please zip and use Upload Attachment.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Webcams not listed

Post by scottgus1 »

Please acknowledge your other posts that had responses with indications of how the advice worked, then we'll work on this one.

Also, logs fit when zipped. Images should be cropped and resized to get under the forum's 128kB size limit yet remain readable, then posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
tyrannasaur

Post by tyrannasaur »

Hi, i have responded to them. My logs as a zip file are attached.
Attachments
vmlogs.zip
(125.44 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the responses and the logs. The Oracle Extension Pack is required for webcam pass-through. This EP is not installed on the host. see http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

You're also running the Ubuntu fork of Virtualbox. If installing the EP does not get you going you may have to uninstall the fork and install official Virtualbox from the above link.
tyrannasaur

Post by tyrannasaur »

webcam now works, thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Nice, glad you're up and running!