Issue with internet on host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jidethenewb

Issue with internet on host

Post by jidethenewb »

hello, i encounter an issue with internet on host only when guests are on (bridge mode). After a piece of time, i lost internet connectivity on host : ping google.fr is ok, but search engine results are unreachable. i noticed this happened only when guests are running, when a new DNS server was set (change for fd0f:ee:b0:11). I disabled IPV6 DHCP on my box but issue still. Is there a way to avoid this dns change ? Why this happen only with VirtualBox ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Issue with internet on host

Post by scottgus1 »

When a VM is Bridged, the VM exists on the host's physical LAN along with the host and other devices on the LAN. If a VM's OS is sending DNS or other services, that can interfere with the existing DNS etc. on the LAN.

With no knowledge of what VM OS you're running or what services it is set to provide, or what other settings have been made by somebody, we cannot tell why this is happening. It is not something Virtualbox does by itself.

My suggestion is to make a new VM with a typical Linux ISO (Ubuntu Desktop or some such), set the new VM to Bridged, then run the new VM only, leaving your existing VM(s) off, and see if the host internet goes crazy.
jidethenewb

Post by jidethenewb »

Thanks for you reply. I finally found a work around in setting up a static IP on my host, this DNS was set up by my box even if i disable DHCP V6. I didn't find any explanation about this ...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Well, a workaround is better than nothing, eh? Glad you're up and running!