Guests showing black screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Rumatech

Guests showing black screen

Post by Rumatech »

Hi all,

All my guests do not start and show blank screen. This is W10 Guest, Linux Guest with GUI and even Linux guest with command-line only.

Host system us kUbuntu 20.04LTS

Nothing out of ordinary in the logs.

I think problem started after upgrading VBox to 6.1.26.
Another thing I was playing with at a time was installing LXD and Ubuntu Multipass, but, I do not think this may interfere with VirtualBox -- those are containers, not virtual machines.
One thing I noticed -- Extension Pack was outdated. i updated it, but problem still exists.

Video memory is set to 128M, 3D Acceleration is off. Tried to switch available Graphics Controllers -- no luck.

For a test, I tried to create a new VM -- can not even get BIOS output. So, seems problem is with VirtualBox itself

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Rudolf
Attachments
VBox.log
Log for W10 guest
(74.51 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Guests showing black screen

Post by fth0 »

Rumatech wrote:Another thing I was playing with at a time was installing LXD and Ubuntu Multipass, but, I do not think this may interfere with VirtualBox -- those are containers, not virtual machines.
Well, you're wrong with the latter:
https://multipass.run wrote:Start Ubuntu VMs with each platform’s native hypervisor

Multipass uses Hyper-V on Windows, HyperKit on macOS and KVM on Linux for minimal overhead and the fastest possible start time.
KVM was already in use when VirtualBox tried to start the VM. Only one program can use VT-x at any one time.
Rumatech

Re: Guests showing black screen

Post by Rumatech »

Thanks,

I got to same conclusion and tried to uninstall multipass.

That fixed the VirtualBox. Interestingly, there is nothing in VBox log to alert me to the fact.

Also, I set up multipass to use LXD driver, otherwise networking is not working

Code: Select all

multipass set local.driver=lxd
The info I found on the internet says:
LXD and KVM are hypervisors that are able to work simultaneously in the same host due to the different nature of the virtual instances which they create. KVM creates virtual machines using full virtualization while LXD creates a virtual run-time environment on top of the OS kernel – the former one requiring CPU support and the latter only a suitable kernel.
Anyway, immediate problem is solved, now I know what to investigate in greater details.

Rudolf