Windows guest doesn't recognize an USB scanner

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
miths3

Windows guest doesn't recognize an USB scanner

Post by miths3 »

I'd like to use a Stylus Epson SX218 scanner (which is basically a printer with a scan feature)
on a Windows 8.1 guest VM installed on the Ubuntu 20 host. The scanner is connected via USB.
On my laptop there are only USB 2 and USB 3 ports. But in the VM Settings USB section there
is only "USB1.1 (OHCI) Controller" option to select.
When I create a new USB filter here with all fields empty, there is still no connection to the
scanner via USB established in the quest Windows 8.1 (I suppose due to the USB1.1 option).
The same happens with no filter.
With the guest OS powered off, in the USB section of VM Machine Settings the option "Enable
USB Controller" and "USB1.1 (OHCI) Controller" are selected. But with the guest OS running
in the bottom right VM system icons tray the USB icon still shows that no USB devices are connected.
My VirtualBox version is 6.1.

(This scanner works well with its scan software on Windows 8 host on another laptop)

How can I install an USB 2 or USB 3 options in a VirtualBox VM (if applicable)?
Or how can I get the the existing USB ports be detected in this VirtualBox guest OS to connect
to the scanner?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows guest doesn't recognize an USB scanner

Post by scottgus1 »

USB 2 and 3 are enabled with the Extension Pack. USB basics and troubleshooting
allenwrench

Post by allenwrench »

scottgus1 wrote:USB 2 and 3 are enabled with the Extension Pack. USB basics and troubleshooting
I think you can pass-through USB devices IF the host OS supports it or sees it, if its an old device from windows 98 era, I don't think you can pass it through to the VM running Win98.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A bit of confusion there...
allenwrench wrote:if its an old device from windows 98 era, I don't think you can pass it through to the VM running Win98.
(a) You can totally pass through any USB device to any guest OS, no matter how old. USB is virtual hardware, not a GAs driver. However you would require a device driver suitable for the guest OS.
(b) Unless I'm missing it, the OP said that the guest is Windows 8.1. Not Win98. The Epson Stylus SX218 also is a currently sold printer, not WinDos era.

I guess you must have misread Windows 8 as Win98.
miths3

Post by miths3 »

I found the current drivers for the Epson Stylus SX218 on the official seller's website,
but these are only for Windows and none is available for Linux. I installed some
printer management utility for epson printers (escputil) via Ubuntu repositories, but
in my Ubuntu host this program seems to be a basic printer app, it has no
scan management functions.

Whereas the seller supplies a different software app specifically for scanning
(Epson Scan). So on a Windows 8 host on another laptop I installed only this
Scan software and didn't install a printer driver, as I need to use only
the scan function in this printer. And this scan app with the scanner function work well.
I suppose there are no specific scan management software for Epson for Ubuntu.

So my host seems to recognize the printer, but can't use the scanner function of the printer.
Can it be the reason why the Windows 8 VM guest hosted on Ubuntu host still can't recognize
the Epson printer?

I installed Extentions pack and created the filter, as mentioned in the USB troubleshooting
section via the link provided in the second post. With the USB settings USB 3 option selected
and with the filter with only 3 fields populated (Name, Vendor ID, Product ID: Epson Stylus,
abcd, 0123), the running guest Windows still can't establish the connection to the USB device,
and the USB icon in the bottom right VM tray in running guest shows "No USB devices connected"
(though the printer is powered on and connected via USB3).
Last edited by miths3 on 4. Oct 2021, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

miths3 wrote: So my host seems to recognize the printer, but can't use the scanner function of the printer.
Can it be the reason why the Windows 8 VM guest hosted on Ubuntu host still can't recognize
the Epson printer?
No, that doesn't follow.

Whether shared by USB or shared by a network connection, the guest OS needs its own device drivers and capabilities are limited by those, not by the host OS - which is barely involved other than to redirect comms. The host doesn't need to interpret what the comms means.

Read the USB FAQ Scott links for general USB troubleshooting. For the device itself, make sure device drivers are installed on any PC (virtual or not) that needs access.
miths3

Post by miths3 »

Epson device printer driver for Linux is basically installed on the host,
but in the VM Windows guest I've installed only the Epson Scan driver and
scan management software, not the printer driver. This scan software
is for scanning only and works well on a Windows host on another laptop.
DO you mean that I need to install the printer driver as well for the
Windows VM guest hosted on Ubuntu host?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

miths3 wrote: DO you mean that I need to install the printer driver as well for the
Windows VM guest hosted on Ubuntu host?
I can't answer questions about what a device I don't own requires. That would be a question for Epson.

If the device is visible in the device manager of the Windows guest then VirtualBox has done its part of the job. The FAQ deals with how to achieve this.