The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
wcswan

Post by wcswan »

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Rocky-8-Server.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}

End of log file:
01:51:44.263576 E1000#0: Max TX Delay : 0
01:51:44.287085 GIM: KVM: Resetting MSRs
01:51:44.288340 Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'
01:51:44.290659 Console: Machine state changed to 'PoweredOff'
01:51:44.291051 GUI: Request to close Runtime UI because VM is powered off already.
01:51:44.291136 GUI: Passing request to close Runtime UI from machine-logic to UI session.

OS Fedora 34
VirtualBox Version 6.1.26 r145957 (QT5.15.2)

I have alread uninstall vbox and re-installed it. Loaded a few vm's and had things working. Now ever vm that I have loaded gets the above error message. How can I resolve this error?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.

Post by mpack »

Provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
wcswan

Post by wcswan »

Here is the zip file.
VBox.log.zip
(32.43 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The provided log shows no error. Not only does the VM turn on, it reaches the guest OS desktop and loads the Guest Additions... which for some reason you chose to download again, despite them being bundled with VirtualBox. I'm not convinced that this log can be from the same session, but OTOH it can't be very old since it's dated yesterday evening.

When was this VM last working on this host PC?

Do you change anything in the meantime? E.g. upgrade the host kernel or enable USB3 in the VM settings?

I mention the latter because I notice that the extension pack is not installed, so enabling any feature that requires it (such as USB3) will fail.

I notice also that graphics RAM is at 16MB, which will not get you very far. I would max this out (128MB). Perhaps enable 3D acceleration too.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In addition to what mpack asked above:

The VBox.log file is from September 29th, and probably not from your current attempt to start the VM. Am I right?

The background reason is perhaps that the error occurs before a new VBox.log file is created. Please start the VM from within a shell with the following command:

Code: Select all

VirtualBoxVM --startvm "Rocky-8-Server Clone"
When the error dialog occurs, close it with the OK button. Then provide any messages you get within the shell, and the file ~/<username>/.config/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log.
wcswan

Post by wcswan »

When I tried to save the settings for the Display, the error message was could not save file. The drive used to save the files was on a NTFS partition that had to be mounted before running vbox. Also, vbox has been having trouble saving to that partition. To solve that issue, the files were moved to an ext4 partition and mounted in the fstab file. The kernel updates keep the appliance from loading. It can cause the 'The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on." messages.

Finally, I re-installed vbox from the RPMFusion Repository per KageSenshi recommendation. ( posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=104037 ) Then when I tried to use the files on the new partition, the UUID duplicate message appeared. Deleting the machine without deleting the files did not work. So I removed the MachineEntry details from within the <MachineRegistry> tages. (Global configuration file: /home/bill/.config/VirtualBox/VirtaulBox.xml). The Default Machine Folder (File/Perferences) was set to the new partition. In each machine on the new partition, the .vbox location path was updated in the Hard Disk tag. Now the machines boot up and are usable! Guest Additions had to be re-installed.

So far there has not been anther kernel update to the host system. I hope vbox survives the next update.