(Urgent!) After update (6.1.26_Pop r145957) none of the Linux VM works. Host machine froze

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Valdemiro

(Urgent!) After update (6.1.26_Pop r145957) none of the Linux VM works. Host machine froze

Post by Valdemiro »

Hi,
After I updated VB to the latest version 6.1.26_Pop r145957 proposed by Pop_Shop (Pop_os 21.04) none of the linux VM works. The host froze, and I have to power cycle the machine.
Before the update, I never had any problem with any Linux and Windows VMs.
Please find attached the logs files.
This issue is stopping me doing my job, please let me know how can I fix the problem.
Many thanks in advance
Attachments
LinuxOS 1-1.log
(71.42 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
LinuxOS 1.log
(74.49 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: (Urgent!) After update (6.1.26_Pop r145957) none of the Linux VM works. Host machine froze

Post by scottgus1 »

Pop's version of Virtualbox (indicated by the "_Pop") is a fork, which they support. We support official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads.

The processor count for the VMs is same as core count on the host, which is not recommended by the forum for normal VM usage, though it can be done. Assuming the absolute only thing that was changed is the host Virtualbox version, and that the VMs are exactly as they were when they were working, then the VMs should still be OK and the problem is on the host. Regrettably I personally cannot tell what the host problem is from the logs.

You should theoretically be able to downgrade back to the Virtualbox version you had before. Alternatively, restore the job-essential host to the backup image taken before making changes to it.

You could also try uninstalling Pop's Virtualbox and installing official Virtualbox instead.
Valdemiro

Re: (Urgent!) After update (6.1.26_Pop r145957) none of the Linux VM works. Host machine froze

Post by Valdemiro »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
I found a kind of workaround by creating a new VM, and I imported the current VDI. The system is stable, and I didn't see any crush in the guest and host, the only thing it didn't work, is that I couldn't update the latest VBtools.