File Manager will crash VM when X the File Manager

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
amccombs
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

File Manager will crash VM when X the File Manager

Post by amccombs »

on Ubuntu 20.04 host, VirtualBox 6.1.22_Ubuntu r144080

virtualbox-6.1_6.1.26-145957~Ubuntu~eoan_amd64.deb, Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.18.vbox-extpack (newer extension pack breaks USB 2+), virtualbox-guest-additions-iso (6.1.22-1~ubuntu1.20.04.1)

1. Boot a VM, I am using Windows 10.
2. on VirtualBox menu, select Machine > File Manager
3. close the File Manager by clicking the X button on the top right of the File Manager

actual results:
VM crashes

expected results:
File Manager to close

note:
clicking the Close button works as expected
Attachments
Windows10Android-2021-08-21-09-51-55.7z
virtualbox log
(14.88 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: File Manager will crash VM when X the File Manager

Post by mpack »

6.1.22_Ubuntu is not VirtualBox, it's the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox. Crash reports should be reported on the Ubuntu forums, especially when the crash is this Linux specific.
amccombs

Post by amccombs »

ok, I searched for forums as I wasn't sure the best one was, found and posted here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st14054908

Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

BTW, the Ubuntu forum poster's advice about Guest Additions having to match the Virtualbox version is not strictly true. Older GAs can work in many situations with newer Virtualbox, within reason, unless newer GA-dependent features come out (though I believe GAs should match if 3D acceleration is being used).

Regrettably, the concept of adjusting GAs to fix a USB problem is a red herring. GAs, present or not, old or new, do not have any influence on USB. Only the Extension Pack does.

We recommend installing official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads instead of the pre-installed forks, and going dev advice is to match up the EP version. If you want to upgrade to official Virtualbox (don't forget the prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq ) and matching EP, we could help with troubleshooting issues.
amccombs

Post by amccombs »

I understand however, the command I gave (sudo apt install -y -f virtualbox-guest-additions-iso), the software gave me a mismatched version, why didn't it download the correct version?

There aren't and download links for GA's and Extension_Pack's in the link that you provided.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

amccombs wrote:the software gave me a mismatched version, why didn't it download the correct version?
I don't know why I keep having to tell you this, but questions relating to the Ubuntu fork should be asked on the Ubuntu forums. We are users, not devs, but even if we were devs we would have have no say in Ubuntu distribution policies.

And I hope the failure to comment doesn't mean that you also ignored the red herring at the heart of this: the GAs have nothing whatever to do with USB, so be careful who you listen to on the Ubuntu forums.
amccombs

Post by amccombs »

mpack wrote:I don't know why I keep having to tell you this,
Did you give me a command to get the correct virtualbox-guest-additions-iso?

Why do they are keep making this stuff harder to find and use not easier, so it's easy to get lost.

older build provide vbox-extpack:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1
, but current release dosen't, why isn't there a current build of vbox-extpack available?

And why aren't any virtualbox-guest-additions-iso on your website, are they not needed?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

amccombs wrote: Did you give me a command to get the correct virtualbox-guest-additions-iso?
No such command is necessary when using VirtualBox, because the GAs are bundled with the software. It's not a separate download.

If you choose to use a third party build from VirtualBox sources then fine, but please stop asking about their practices here.