Windows 10 runs fine on 6.1.22, aborts on 6.1.26

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
gap6

Windows 10 runs fine on 6.1.22, aborts on 6.1.26

Post by gap6 »

I have an Epyc server that I have OS/2 and Windows 10 clients on. It was running 6.1.22 without problems but after updating to 6.1.26 the Windows 10 is refusing to keep running. I get a frequent "abort" and it can even break the NVMe with a frozen error. I have tried all combinations of memory and virtualization settings without success. The OS/2 runs fine, it is the Windows 10 64 that does not work reliably. After days of the problems I have reverted back to 6.1.22
Last edited by scottgus1 on 12. Aug 2021, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from original topic, changed title to reflect problem
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 runs fine on 6.1.22, aborts on 6.1.26

Post by scottgus1 »

If you want to help troubleshoot this you could zip and post a log from the working 6.1.22 and a log from the failing 6.1.26. For each version:

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Otherwise there's not much we can do to help.
gap6

Post by gap6 »

Here are the logs.
One file is the 6.1.22 log and the others are 6.1.26 using Windows 10 64
Attachments
lg.zip
(52.73 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Please try if disabling audio in the VM configuration (Audio > Enable Audio) helps.
Garloo

Post by Garloo »

What if you need the audio?

I tried to uninstall 6.1.26 and install 6.1.22 last night, but my VM immediately gave me the Guru Meditation error that something had gone catastrophically wrong and couldn't start, no matter what.

My Win 10 VM was created with 6.1.26, so maybe that's why it doesn't like 6.1.22? I swapped out the extension pack and the Guest Additions, so I don't think it was their fault.

Still, I could have easily done it wrong. Is there a proper guide to rolling back a version of Virtualbox (I'm on Linux Mint)? I used one that I found, but it didn't quite work.

Also, is there an ETA on a fix for the Win10 guest audio? Or a beta that's already solved it? Thanks!
Garloo

Post by Garloo »

Well, I don't think it's the audio. I just opened it up and let it run for a while with audio disabled, and it still pooped itself.

Gonna try to roll Virtualbox back to 6.1.22 again. If anyone has any other ideas, speak now or forever hold your peace. Thanks!
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Garloo wrote:What if you need the audio?
Did I say that the OP should keep it disabled? ;) The OP was requested to disable audio to find out if their problem was audio-related.
Garloo wrote:Also, is there an ETA on a fix for the Win10 guest audio?
For most VirtualBox 6.1.26 users, the Windows 10 guest audio seems to work fine, and you haven't reported any audio problems. So what fix are you talking about?
Garloo wrote:I tried to uninstall 6.1.26 and install 6.1.22 last night, but my VM immediately gave me the Guru Meditation error that something had gone catastrophically wrong and couldn't start, no matter what.

My Win 10 VM was created with 6.1.26, so maybe that's why it doesn't like 6.1.22? I swapped out the extension pack and the Guest Additions, so I don't think it was their fault.

Still, I could have easily done it wrong. Is there a proper guide to rolling back a version of Virtualbox (I'm on Linux Mint)? I used one that I found, but it didn't quite work.
Rolling back from 6.1.26 to 6.1.22 should be a simple matter of uninstalling, rebooting, installing and rebooting (to replace potentially running kernel drivers). An installed VirtualBox Extension Pack (EP) must match the VirtualBox version exactly, and the Guest Additions (GA) should match.

If you want somebody to tell you something about your Guru Meditation error, you should post a (zipped) VBox.log file containing it.
Garloo

Post by Garloo »

fth0 wrote:
Garloo wrote:What if you need the audio?
Did I say that the OP should keep it disabled? ;) The OP was requested to disable audio to find out if their problem was audio-related.
Thanks for responding. :) The implication was that if disabling the audio fixed the problem, we would just have to do without sound. That's how I interpreted it, at least.
fth0 wrote:
Garloo wrote:Also, is there an ETA on a fix for the Win10 guest audio?
For most VirtualBox 6.1.26 users, the Windows 10 guest audio seems to work fine, and you haven't reported any audio problems. So what fix are you talking about?
Referencing that suspicion you had about the audio being the problem. I have recently come to doubt that it's the issue, though.
fth0 wrote:Rolling back from 6.1.26 to 6.1.22 should be a simple matter of uninstalling, rebooting, installing and rebooting (to replace potentially running kernel drivers). An installed VirtualBox Extension Pack (EP) must match the VirtualBox version exactly, and the Guest Additions (GA) should match.

If you want somebody to tell you something about your Guru Meditation error, you should post a (zipped) VBox.log file containing it.
Gonna give it another shot. I don't think I rebooted between steps, so maybe that was it. If my Guru chimes back in, I'll zip up the logs. Thanks!
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I understand that audio-related issues is not your problem, so only for completeness sake:
Garloo wrote:The implication was that if disabling the audio fixed the problem [...]
... it would only mean that further investigation by the user could have concentrated on audio-related part (with our support). If a user has an audio-related problem, which other users and the VirtualBox developers cannot reproduce, then there is nothing that could be fixed on purpose.
Garloo

Post by Garloo »

fth0 wrote:I understand that audio-related issues is not your problem, so only for completeness sake:
Garloo wrote:The implication was that if disabling the audio fixed the problem [...]
... it would only mean that further investigation by the user could have concentrated on audio-related part (with our support). If a user has an audio-related problem, which other users and the VirtualBox developers cannot reproduce, then there is nothing that could be fixed on purpose.
Gotcha. The good and bad news is that I've since done some further investigating, and my poor VM still fell apart even with the audio disabled. Rolling back! :)
Garloo

Post by Garloo »

It didn't take kindly to my rollback this time, either. Here are my logs. If anyone sees anything in here I can try to fix, please tell me.

Since I've had it working, it runs for a random amount of time, then just spontaneously aborts itself. I'm just using it to play music in the background and it sometimes dies in the middle of a song, so I don't know what could be happening to break it.

Right before I rolled it back just now, it got worse and I couldn't get past the Win10 login page, and when I tried to open it in 6.1.22, the Guru Meditator comes up and tells me a critical error has occurred and the machine has been stopped, almost immediately.

I'm new to this, but I'm aware that the running of an OS on top of another OS is a delicate proposition. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Again, this is a Win10 LTSC guest on Linux Mint, on a Surface Pro 6. Thanks!
Attachments
Garloos_Win10_AbortedGuest_Logs.tar.gz
(133.73 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Linux kernel 5.13 is only supported by VirtualBox 6.1.24 and newer.
Win10-2021-09-12-19-02-07.log wrote:
00:00:01.650813 AIOMgr: pdmacFileEpInitialize: RTFileOpen /home/garla/VirtualBox VMs/Win10/Win10 Ent LTSC 19 Aug 21.vmdk / 000c0781 failed with VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
00:00:01.651242 AIOMgr: Endpoint for file '/home/garla/VirtualBox VMs/Win10/Win10 Ent LTSC 19 Aug 21.vmdk' (flags 00000781) created successfully
Regarding the VM runs with VirtualBox 6.1.26, I see no special reason why it would fail during the VM run. The only unusual log messages regard the virtual disk images, but they don't seem to keep the VM from booting from it.
Garloo

Post by Garloo »

Thank you for looking into this for me. That explains why the rollback collapsed immediately. :)

I'm onto a theory now where Linux putting itself to sleep might be torpedo-ing my VM, by cutting off access to the USB ports in the dock I'm using (Kensington SD7000).

I'm back on 6.1.26 and testing it now by actively not letting it go to sleep, and so far it's been working. I only hope I didn't just jinx myself. ;)

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again!
Garloo

Post by Garloo »

Well, it's not that either. It choked right in front of me just now, after a couple hours of working fine, and now it won't start again.

So weird. If there's anything else you can think of for me to check, please tell me. Thanks.

EDIT: And an hour later, I can start the VM again. I have no idea what's going on.

EDIT EDIT: Good news for Virtualbox, VMware is doing something very similar. I think it's either Mint itself, or some setting in Mint that I'm missing. Hell, maybe it's my Windows LTSC? Trying Win 8.1 now. Too many moving parts. :\

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Windows 8.1 is running fine. I'm pretty convinced that it's my install of Win10 that's borked, and believe Virtualbox to be completely innocent of the crimes of which I accused it. As you were, and thank you. :)