Pop! OS Host Windows 10 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Huso

Pop! OS Host Windows 10 Guest

Post by Huso »

Hi there,

I have searched, but couldn't find anything. I am installing as above on an ASUS UX325JA as above, I have tried many combinations in the motherboard settings. Sometimes Windows blue screens during install and sometimes it blue screens after install when trying to setup the guest Win 10.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would really appreciate any help.

Many thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Pop! OS Host Windows 10 Guest

Post by scottgus1 »

The only motherboard setting that affects Virtualbox is VT-x or AMD-V or SVM. Google your motherboard to find out how to turn on one of these. If you see the option to make 64-bit VMs in Virtualbox then this setting is on.

Then Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Huso

Post by Huso »

Thank you so much for replying. I wasn't referring to the hardware motherboard, it was the VM motherboard. I have ttached a screenshot and the log.
Attachments
Windows 10-2021-08-03-17-15-15.log
Log file
(27.51 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot from 2021-08-03 18-04-08.png (89.21 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

From the log:
VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests
Huso

Post by Huso »

Virtualisation s enabled in the laptop bios. If you turn it off, you can't even run a guest.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, then check that KVM or other Linux-provided hypervisors are not enabled in the host OS.
Huso

Post by Huso »

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have been a Windows use for many years, but am new to Linux/Pop OS.

Can you please suggest where to look?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Web-searching is all I've got. I also am a Windows user.
Huso

Post by Huso »

Thank you so much for your help.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

IMHO, there seems to be something going wrong in this discussion so far. The problem description started with:
Huso wrote:Sometimes Windows blue screens during install and sometimes it blue screens after install when trying to setup the guest Win 10.
But the Windows%2010-2021-08-03-17-15-15.log file shows a VM run that was aborted long before the VM's BIOS was even started, so there wasn't a blue screen at all during that specific VM run. Based on this log file, scottgus1 correctly suggested to check the host's BIOS for VT-x/AMD-V being disabled, or KVM being running (check with lsmod | grep kvm).

Please reproduce a VM run matching your problem description, and post a (zipped) VBox.log file. If your problem description wasn't correct, please try to explain your problem better.

Additionally, it is quite possible that you're encountering a problem that's already fixed in the current VirtualBox 6.1.26. I'd suggest to uninstall the Pop!OS version and install the official Oracle version from Download VirtualBox for Linux Hosts (select the corresponding Ubuntu version).