Problem with remote authentication

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Newstor

Problem with remote authentication

Post by Newstor »

Hi All,

I have Virtualbox running on an ubuntu server (which started headless but now also runs xfce to make my life easier :) ) and it contains a Windows 10 VM.

It is all running in an old pc and I use it mainly for learning/testing purposes. During the creation and configuration process I have run into multiple problems but always managed to solve them with hours and testing and reading.

I am however stuck in my final step :( and after so many hours unsuccessfully trying different solutions I decided to take a break and ask for some help here.

The remote access from other computers is working fine (both local network and externally), I use Windows Remote Desktop as I am only connection from Windows devices. However, it only works when the authentication method is set to Null :? . I have carefully followed all steps described at the Virtualbox official manual (for VBoxAuthSimple). I have also searched for answers in this forum, no luck.

I would be OK with it if I was only planning to access it from my local network but I would really like to have accessible over the internet and obviously I don't dare to do it if I can enforce some authentication method.

Anyone?

Regards,

N
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Problem with remote authentication

Post by fth0 »

I've read that before, and I'd suggest to use VRDP with Null Authentication through an SSH tunnel.
Newstor

Re: Problem with remote authentication

Post by Newstor »

fth0 wrote:I've read that before, and I'd suggest to use VRDP with Null Authentication through an SSH tunnel.
Thank you for the tip! it sounds like a good option and I assume it is secure enough. I will investigate how to do it :wink:

Yet if anyone has succeeded to use the Virtualbox authentication I would very much like to hear it, just curiosity.