WSL 2 Windows 10 2004 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
roberts

WSL 2 Windows 10 2004 Guest

Post by roberts »

Hello,

I have a Windows 10 2004 guest running in the current version of VB on a Dell XPS 15 9550 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2.

Windows 10 works fine. WSL 1 is installed successfully without issue but I cannot upgrade to WSL 2. I have all of the prerequisites installed (I have done this many times before and I have installed, uninstalled, rebooted countless times to try to get this working). I always end to with this message when trying to upgrade from WSL 1 to WSL 2.

Please enable the Virtual Machine Platform Windows feature and ensure virtualization is enabled in the BIOS.

I also tried installing WSL as WSL 2 without even running as WSL 1 and got this error

Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed.

I have also run the command to enable nested virtualization

vboxmanage modifyvm "Win10 2004 WSL etc." --nested-hw-virt on

Is this functionality just broken? Should I just give up?

Thanks,

Robert
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: WSL 2 Windows 10 2004 Guest

Post by fth0 »

roberts wrote:Is this functionality just broken? Should I just give up?
No. Yes.

VirtualBox only supports VirtualBox and KVM as nested hypervisors.
roberts

Post by roberts »

OK ... curious where you found that information. Not that I am doubting it at all but I have not found found any clarifying documentation. The <sarcasm> amazing documentation </sarcasm> seems to have about 10 lines dedicated to nested virtualization. The main one being

https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualizati ... pport.html

Then there were two others I saw about Hyper-V

It's a pretty huge / drive a truck trough it gap in nested virtualization!

Back to VMware ...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't know how much detail you expect to see in a "new in v6" announcement, but personally I don't expect much.

Your "documentation" should be the user manual, not some randomly encountered Oracle press release.

The user manual is available online. Better yet you have an offline PDF version which you can search for mention of "nested virtualization".
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

roberts wrote:OK ... curious where you found that information.
In my head. ;)

Seriously, one source is the VirtualBox User Manual: 9.33. Nested Virtualization. The rest is a mixture of gathered knowledge (e.g. from VirtualBox source code, VirtualBox forums, common business sense of the commercial hypervisor manufacturers).