"Waiting 30 seconds for device ‘/dev/disk/by-label/" when running new VMs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ernani

"Waiting 30 seconds for device ‘/dev/disk/by-label/" when running new VMs

Post by ernani »

Hi there:

Every new VM I try to create is generating the same error, show in the attached image.
error_vb.png
error_vb.png (28.84 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
VB cannot find /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_202107 (the installation media).

I've tried uninstalling Virtualbox and reinstalling, with no effect. In the image, I was trying to install Arch Linux with the file archlinux-2021.07.01-x86_64.iso, and other iso's from different s.o.'s got the same issue.
I'm running Virtualbox 6.1.22 r144080 on Arch Linux 64bits, Kernel 5.12.15-arch1-1.

All my googling only showed the problem on phisical machines, not virtual ones.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: "Waiting 30 seconds for device ‘/dev/disk/by-label/" when running new VMs

Post by scottgus1 »

Usually, if the VM environment keeps running and the OS inside the VM is sending error messages that it can normally send on real PCs, then you'd try to solve it the same way you would on a real PC.

Please Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, please try an Ubuntu with a graphical desktop VM and see if it can install.
ernani

Post by ernani »

Hi Scott, thank you for your answer.

I'll try that as soon as possible.

Giving more information, I also tried installing other O.S.'s, like Ubuntu and Manjaro, with the same results.
I also tried Vmware Player, same thing.

Thanks.
ernani

Post by ernani »

Well, I'll take some time to solve this problem, because my machine's BIOS got corrupted and I can't access or create virtual machines.

When I get this solved, I'll be back to the first problem.